Jan 3, 2001
I currently have a CR 125, I dont ride much motocross, I mostly play ride and want ot get int ot trail riding and maybe even get into some motocross. I am looking for a new bike that is better for trails/play riding but will still be able to motocross if needed. My CR is fun to play around on but I just cant stand it in the woods, its just not fun for me having to wind it out the whole time to make power. I would really like to find a WR 250f, but I have come across a 2001 YZ 250f in my area for a good price. I was wondering how much more controllable is this bike compared to a 125? How does the power delivery compare?

yzfe

Dec 9, 2002
I have a 2001 YZF250 which I ride mostly in the woods. It's great ! The bike has a much more wider and usable powerband then a 125. With a few modifications I made it much better in super slow technical woods riding - 2 more teeth in the rear sprocket (now 50 t.) and a home made power now.

Efi.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Age, height, weight, riding ability... yada yada yada?

We don't know you so we can only give you very, very generic responses. If you want more (and better) feedback you need to give us more specific information.

Ivan

Jan 3, 2001
Im 17, 6'2", 160lbs. I have been riding since I was 12. Im pretty good on a bike, I just mostly play ride and jump and may start riding trails more when I get a new bike. How much smoother is the powerband on the YZ 250f for play/trail riding than on my CR? I still want a fast bike but more controllable in the woods and such. Would the YZ 250f be a good bike or should I wait and try to find a WR 250f?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
In my opinion the YZ250F is one of the best woods weapons there is! I like it much better than the WR b/c it is lighter and already has the timing set for the best use of power IMO.

I would only consider the WR if I was planning on doing enduro's where I would need the lights and SA. Other than that the WR takes too much to get to what the YZ250F is stock.

The power is delivered smoothly on both and starting is vastly improved with the 03 models (even though I never had a problem with the 01 after I had it jetted properly).

Ivan

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
before you get a new bike, try gearing your 125 down as low as you can,, i run a 11/54 on my 125, and it lugs great.. but slow on long fast straights.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Just got a new '03 yz250f myself. I play ride a bit on tracks and ride some in the woods. I lOVE THIS BIKE!! It is the best I've ever had. Light, easy to start, and handles great. The seat is flat so you can slide up to the tank easy for turns. All I'm doing to it is having it resprung for my weight (150#) and re-valved for an improved ride. you can't go wrong with these bikes. I would not buy the WR unless you want electric start, which I just gave up and don't miss. Good luck..........

CTC_125F

Jun 7, 2003
i actually just got back at looknig at these bikes, sicne im a little guy I am gonig to buy a YZF125 because, well, its smalelr, and it has an electric start. The 250 was also very nice looking and I did set on it but my feet did not touch the ground. For your size I would prefer going with the 250!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom