techman

Feb 18, 2000
Mweissen, any chance of sound testing your setup? How much louder is your vortipped WR pipe vs the complete stock WR pipe? If it's only up by about 3dB, I might try that option. Up 6 dB or more is still in the "there's those damn bikes making the noise again" complaint zone.

------------------

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Techman,

I'd sure like to be able to sound test the different setups I can duplicate - WR stock, WR/Vortip, YZ stock, YZ/BMP kit. We have a dB tester at work, but I'm not able to get my hands on it for a weekend yet. Anyone in West Michigan with one? I'd really like these numbers too.

It's hard for me to say if the Vortip is 3dB louder than stock. The dB scale is logrithmic, so 3 dB is a lot. I will say the Vortip passes the 94 dB sound limit for Michigan Cycle Conservation Club rides. So, if stock is 87dB, then I guess the Vortip is at least less than 7dB from stock.

I'll say this - I think it's surely louder than stock, my wife says the Vortip exhaust isn't annoying, but she knows I'm around. Also the BMP kit on the YZ pipe with 4 disks is about the same sound level and seat-of-the pants performance as the WR/Vortip combo.

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

techman

Feb 18, 2000
Mweissen, the sound level varies unbelievably with rpm. If you set your idle fast and the sound test "procedure" measure it at idle, you'll be "louder", even though you're not. Therefore the SAE procedure is at a set rpm. The WR/YZ 400/426 should be around 4000 or 5000 rpm with the whole meter holding thing done right.

Stock WR at idle 87 dB sounds right, expecting at rev to be about 94 to 96 dB. Problem is, there's no guarantee that 7 dB difference between pipes at idle will also go with 7 dB difference at spec rev. 94 or 96 at spec rev is how race bikes are measured for enduros. Mx rules usually allow 100 dB or a bit more at spec rev. A stock YZ pipe or a fully un-inserted WR pipe would just make the MX limit, and idle up around 94 dB.

I'd say the "she knows I'm around" part kind of says the story re heading for a louder bike vs real quiet. If you can ride without bothering people with that noise, awesome. But just keep the stealth option in the back of your mind.

Good luck if you get your hands on a meter and a tach.

------------------

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Techman,
My judgement calls aren't based on idle sound levels, rather riding sound levels. As you well know, the level and type of sound riding the bike is different than positions off the bike. If you're looking for stock-level sounds, the Vortip does not get that low. But, it's certainly a lot better than any aftermarket or stock YZ pipe I've heard. And, again, it passes the 94 dB sound test, which was run via the SAE method (20" back, throttle-up).

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

Top Bottom