Barbuster

Feb 9, 2001
I have a 2000 yz426 with an FMF power bomd header/power core 4 spard arrester.
Last sound test was 98db.
To pass sound test I need to be 94db.
Any feedback on different pipes and db readings would be a great help.

PeterEXC520

Dec 4, 2000
Hi Kalitude,

Originally posted by kalitude:
Wow! That's quiet! My TTR125 was read at 113!
Guess I can't ride where you ride
frown.gif

113db? Your TTR must sound like a jet :-)
Here in Germany/Europe the db limits are 98db for moto cross and 94db for enduro. Anke's KTM EXC400 and my KTM EXC520 are about 92db (with the stock pipe). I think my Biggun will be a little bit louder but I hope not too much.
BTW Anke's first race will be in March...
Peter

http://www.gp-racing.de/widowmaker_intro.html

mgorman

May 8, 2000
I am a firm beleiver in sound level reduction. I don't beleive the aftermarket companies try too hard when I hear bikes with "Silencers" that are louder than harley's with straight pipes. I have heard more than one person say that the stock yamaha pipes are as good as aftermarket and a lot quieter. It also bugs me that a pipe so similar in design can cost 3-4 times as much as a 2stk silencer from the same company.

------------------
mgorman,
Thumping since 1980
"If the competition is not wasted, the day is"

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by mgorman:
It also bugs me that a pipe so similar in design can cost 3-4 times as much as a 2stk silencer from the same company.
I agree! And how do they justify almost $200 for a header pipe? That has to be easier to manufacture than a two stroke expansion chamber! I think they're milking us.

hardi43

Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by PeterEXC520:
Hi Kalitude,

113db? Your TTR must sound like a jet :-)
Here in Germany/Europe the db limits are 98db for moto cross and 94db for enduro. Anke's KTM EXC400 and my KTM EXC520 are about 92db (with the stock pipe). I think my Biggun will be a little bit louder but I hope not too much.
BTW Anke's first race will be in March...
Peter

Hallo Peter

was hat dich denn hier her verschlagen?
und wer ist anke?
gruss hardi

------------------
more than twenty year's offroad but it's not enough to finish

PeterEXC520

Dec 4, 2000
Hi Hardi,

Originally posted by hardi43:
Hallo Peter
was hat dich denn hier her verschlagen?
und wer ist anke?
gruss hardi
[/B]

I'm reading DRN for a while and some hints are very useful ;-)
Anke is my girlfriend.
Peter

Barbuster

Feb 9, 2001
Respond to Dadcrashed,
The stock pipe is not spark arrested and reads 104db on a sound meater. My main concern is 94db not necessarly performance.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Barbuster,
Try a WR426 muffler. I rode with two guys who had a WR 400 & 426 that still had their stock mufflers. They were both whisper quiet. Neither rider complained about performance loss when I asked about how happy they were with their mufflers.

The WR 400 did have a Thumper Racing insert, it was still quite.

John

toddw1016

Feb 5, 2001
I ordered the Big Gun quiet series/sa yesterday. Big Gun claims 94-95db at 3500 rmp with increase 2-3 hp over stock in low to mid but loss of about 1.5 up on top.

I currently run a e-series: with 12 disks, at aprox 3500 rmp it is 112-113db, with the quiet insert and 4 disks it is at 103db. But with the quiet insert it runs like I have a cork stuck in the exhaust, and is still too loud. I needed it to pass a 98db sound check at 1/2 throttle for local enduros.

Once I get it I will post my opinion, anyone else running this pipe? Opinions?

Todd
'98 400f

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
hey todd, thx for being responsible enough to spend the $ to get quieter, i wish everyone would do this. i put the big gun on my yz250f, race series w/quiet insert & s.a. the craftsmanship & fit are excellent. it is a good bit quieter than stock, & should pass an enduro sound test, but i haven't really tested it yet. i can't comment on the performance, as it is different enough from stock to need rejetting & i'm not thru with that yet.

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
I just ordered a Vortip for my WR400 having heard another. If you really want quiet, pick up a WR400/426 stock muffler, and stick a Vortip in it. www.finlinesuspension.com holds the license on it, and made a few, these are $59, and Baja Designs licensed the Vortip design (called the baja baffle) and charges $79 for the same thing. www.bajadesigns.com Both are quality products.

PeterEXC520

Dec 4, 2000
Hi Todd,

Originally posted by toddw1016:
I ordered the Big Gun quiet series/sa yesterday. Big Gun claims 94-95db at 3500 rmp with increase 2-3 hp over stock in low to mid but loss of about 1.5 up on top.
Once I get it I will post my opinion, anyone else running this pipe? Opinions?
Todd
'98 400f

I ordered a Big Gun system for my KTM EXC520 and a separate silencer for closed courses but didn't get it yet. Paul told me that the quiet system will be below 94db without losing any power. The stock system has 92db.
I'll post my opinions here, too.
Peter

toddw1016

Feb 5, 2001
I finally received the big gun exhaust (oversize quiet series with the quiet insert) yesterday, and put it on last night. At idle the db reading at 20" 45 degrees from the exhaust is 84 db. I actually had the bike running in the garage and carried on a conversation with my wife at the same time, that's something new
smile.gif
With the bike at idle I could actually hear sounds from the engine (i.e. valves?, lifters? etc...). At a generous 1/2 throttle it was reading 100 db. The cool thing was it was actually breathing well. I had a white bros e-series and bought their quiet insert. When you put the e-series quiet insert into their exhaust I could notice the engine struggled to rev due to the restricted exhaust flow, not so with the big gun. It is dramatically quieter than the e-series, it has been so long since I had the stock system on that I don't know how it compares to stock, and don't have any db readings from the stock system. I have only ridden it down the driveway and back based on the fact that it was dark when I finished last night. I'll post a ride report after I get the chance to ride it.

Barbuster,
I know you are after 94 db, what rpm distance from exhaust etc.. any particular way you want me to measure it?

'98 yz400f
'99 kk80
'99 ky60
'99 pw50
'98 Lakota 300

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
So if I understand correctly, the muffler from a WR400 will fit the YZ400? and it has a spark arrestor? and it is quieter?

If so, anyone have a WR400 muffler for sale? email me if so!

thanks, mike

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
OK, I have found a WR400 muffler for my YZ400. I need to how I should jet for this set up.

I am currently running the stock head pipe with a FMF IV2 muffler.

Will I need to change Needle, jets, air screw?

I am at sea level in California.

Any help is appreciated as I make the move to Stealth mode......

FastDave

Mar 22, 2001
I'm also looking to quiet down my 1998 YZ400. I had the same idea of putting a WR muffler and saw your posting. Let me know how it works.

Anyone out there have a WR400 muffler they're looking to sell?

Not concerned about performance at this point, just want to ride!!

Barbuster

Feb 9, 2001
toddw1016
todd I need a sound reading 20in. at
45 degrees. RPM I am not sure about. I
have been checking mine at just off idle.
A reading would be great help. If this pipe
is not close I may try a stock wr pipe.
Thanks for the help todd
Barbuster

techman

Feb 18, 2000
Barbuster, get a tach, test at specified rev (about 4000 or 5000) as per MMIC recommendations. Revs really affect your readings. A stock YZ can pull 96 dBA at idle but it's still insanely loud. At spec revs its about 102 to 104 dBA, my guess. Wr pipe is about 96 at those revs.

------------------

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
If you've got a stock YZ pipe, look at the BMP disk kit at www.bmp.motox.org/ This kit helps temper the YZ noise from stock levels, and provides a spark arrestor. 4 disks = my WR400 exhaust with a Vortip, and performance isn't much different. Plus it's lighter than a WR exhaust.

After reading magazine articles on YZ/WR pipes, I bought a YZ pipe for my WR and did this conversion. (I'm not ready to sell my WR pipe just yet). I also put one of these on our YZ250F and it works great!

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Now you tell me......

The adaptor kit looks great, but at this point I have traded my stock YZ pipe for a WR pipe.

Have yet to mount and test it, but will post some results when I do.

Mike

------------------

philb

Oct 28, 1999
I have a SuperTrapp on my XR280 with 15 disks.I don't know what the db level is, but it is loud. Out of curiosity, I installed the stock pipe(I bought the bike used) and it is VERY quiet, but suffered a HUGE loss of power.so I put the SuperTrapp back on. what type of difference does more or less disks make in power/noise levels?

------------------
philb

92 XR280R
87 XR200R

tdye

Nov 9, 1999
Where can I buy the BMP kit from ?

Their site says no re-jetting required, is this true ?

Thanks

Todd

------------------
Todd

toddw1016

Feb 5, 2001
www.bmp.motox.org

The one for the 400 fits the 250 as well. My buddy got one for his 250f and it works well. A little reduction in noise, a little more bottom, a little less top. But his main reason in getting it was the S/A for Ranger Rick.

With 6 disks the flow is almost identical to stock so it doesn't require re-jetting. My buddy is running 6 disks and his bike is running fine.

Todd

------------------
98 yz400f

[This message has been edited by toddw1016 (edited 04-10-2001).]

Top Bottom