YZ 85 clutch basket/primary gear cushions

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Hi guys,

Has anyone else had a problem with YZ85's (and probably other YZs as well) clutch basket cushions? I am talking about the little rubber grommet thingys between the basket and the gear that is riveted to it. The basket itself was buttery soft, and lasted only a few months before it was notched badly. I replaced it with a Performance Engineering basket, but like a Hinson, you need to drill out the rivets and re-use the gear and rubber cushions. The cushions were in a thousand pieces. Yamaha doesn't sell them separately. I called PE, and they said I needed to buy an OEM basket assembly ($187) and get the cushions from it. Thats insane. I made some grommets at work out of 3/8" rubber, but they dont last very long either. I have changed them out probably 5 times in the last year, and this past weekend one of the screws that replaces the rivets came out (it had red loctite on it) and went through the crank gear and primary driven gear behind the basket. I straightened the main tranny shaft and trued the crank, but the basket gear cracked. Now I'm back to square one, I need a new OEM basket to get the gear off it.

I'm losing faith in this little Yamaha. The tranny blew up in it a couple months ago for no reason and it set me back a good bit in parts. This time it wasn't any fault of Yamaha's, but I hate to know I am gonna have to spend $200 on a new basket just to have the rubber cushions tear apart in 2 or 3 months.

I am also looking for the cheapest source of OEM parts for the Yamaha. Any ideas?

tri-mx'er

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
When the bike is in neutral and idling (without touching clutch), if you hear a little "rat a tat tat" noise, your cushions are toast. I have seen several like this, it is a poor design. I think a different rubber composition would solve the problem. Its possible that Yamaha has done this on the newer bikes, mine is an 03.

I ordered a new clutch basket assembly today for it. Hopefully it might have better rubber cushions in it. It would make the basket last much longer.

tri-mx'er

xcracer725

Jun 2, 2004
o mines an 02 but i remember when i was at the line at a race one day revin it up and it moved on me, acourse it was b/c i needed it adjusted

Top Bottom