cheeze433

May 21, 2009
Hey guys, I have a question. My front fork seals on my 2003 YZ 250 are leaking like crazy and I need to replace them. I have never done this on a bike. Just wondering if there are any special tools required, how much fork oil to replace, what kind is best and how big of a job is it. I'm pretty mechanical so I"m no worried, just looking for information and helpful hints. Can anyone help me out? Thanks alot.

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Fork are not that hard to do.
First, get a service manual, this will tell you what oil weight to use, what oil level, and the correct procedure to reassemble(and disassamble) them properly.

I did mine for the first time this winter, 2 month ago.
I needed a fork seal driver, and i build my own oil level tool using a seringue and a plastic hose.

Obviously you will need fork oil and fork seal too, it may be good to replace the fork bushing while you are at it, but it is more expensive and optionnal.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
damn, a pretty girl doing a suspension job??????
i know more than one place where she could work for thousands selling or repairing bikes.

i have a lot of comments to make on the pics where the lady is stroking the fork leg up and down but none seems to be appropriate. :laugh:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
When I did the forks on my '86 YZ the only difficult part was getting the bolt loose from the bottom that screws into the internal portion of the fork. To start with, I needed a 17mm allen wrench and didn't have one, so I took a bolt and nut and loctite made myself an adapter. The second problem was that what the bolt threads into is internal and can't be held, which basically requires an impact driver to get it loose.

The first fork took me about a week. The second fork took about an hour.

Rod

FNG

May 2, 2008
When you do them, make sure to clean the dust seals. Also look at the little dust seal springs as they can get damaged and cause dirt to get into the new seals.

Otherwise, like others have said, spend the $ on a manual and you can figure it out from there.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
When I did the forks on my '86 YZ the only difficult part was getting the bolt loose from the bottom that screws into the internal portion of the fork. To start with, I needed a 17mm allen wrench and didn't have one, so I took a bolt and nut and loctite made myself an adapter. The second problem was that what the bolt threads into is internal and can't be held, which basically requires an impact driver to get it loose.

The first fork took me about a week. The second fork took about an hour.

Rod
rod, there is a way to hold the internal damper rod:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0117/

if you can do a 17mm allen wrench you can easly build one yourself. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom