steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
anyone out there played with the ignition timing on the 2-stroke? i have a YZ250 and in the clymer manual it shows you how to check and set timing by using a DTI in the spark plug hole then the book gives you the timing specs in distance before TDC, in my case 0.8mm. then you check the stator to flywheel marks line up.... :blah: :blah: :blah: thats the theory anyway.
ive done all this and it works no problem, but my question is in the book some very simaler year YZ250's have up to 1.6mm BTDC timing specs, can i change mine to run this far advanced without any problems?? i always use 96 or 98 octane pump gas and spark plug is standard. im just trying to see if it will give it more of a hit in the midrange.

MX Junkie

Jan 3, 2006
Coop37 said:
I belive that the timing on the 1999 and newer YZ's have the ignition timing retarded because of a complete new ignition,
I advanced timing for the elev. buy about .2mm, and it will knock under heavy loads like in the sand, but runs real strong off bottom.
Becareful and good luck.

Friend of mine did this to his 99 and ended up taking the bottem end out

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
well i ended up trying it at 1.1mm BTDC as this seemed to be average for the other yz250's listed in my manual. tried it today using 98 octane pump gas and it seemed fine with no sound of pinging or anything. i will keep a close eye on the plug though as i dont wont a holed piston (or worse).
dunno how it would ruin a bottom end tho, but i guess anythings possible if you rev it hard enough.

Top Bottom