YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
I need a little advice. I currently have a 2003 yz 250. I've always had yamahas ( i like em). I ride mostly woods hills exc. Im really considering getting a new Yamaha, or maybe KTM xc-w. I have a friend that has one and he realy likes it. Whats really the diff. between KTM's xc-w and xc? Would the xc-w be a little more woods friendly than the YZ 250? Thoughts please!

Jan 3, 2007
YZ/250, i say go 250XC if you ride tight woods and top speed is not too much of an objective. If you ride more open feild, hills and such a 250XC-W would work good for theat. The XC has stiffere suspension and the XC-W is softer. Go for a KTM because for the price you will never build a better suited woods bike then a stock EXC, MXC, XC, or XC-W at the same price and year new.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I had a KTM 200sx last year and now own a YZ450F. The KTM has some quirks:
1) the rear fender sticks straight out and I often snagged my leg on it when getting on or off. I had no problem on my KX125, KDX200, or YZ.

2) I also caught my knee braces in the rad shrouds. Several times and once they REALLY got snagged and I had to stop and fight loose.

3) KTM has some unusual mechanical stuff- the seat bolt is up under the rear fender where it's always packed with mud, I never felt confident that the air filter was sealed, the 200sx vibrated really hard and I had to rubber mount the bars (which fixed it, as did readjusting the pipe). If you're used to Japanese bikes, the bolt sizes are strange.

4) I never could get the front brake bled. It would be great, then get mushy mid-week and I'd have to bleed it again. I finally ended up just taking the front wheel off and clamping the pads mid-week. A hassle. Had fresh fluid and all. Also, the front brake cable wants to kink where it runs thru the angled number plate guide.

5) run the chain loose. The previous owner ran the chain WAY too tight and it caused the notorious countershaft crack.

6) I definitely noticed some different suspension quirks- my 200sx would sometimes "float" the rear end over certain bumps that the KX125 and later the YZ450F had NO problem over. Sure, I could've had the KTM suspension done, but the stock KX and YZ suspension are fine. The KTM also seemed less forgiving on bad landings, like during whip practice.

On the upside, the KTM has a killer motor, handles good, etc. It's a fun bike, I'm glad I owned one, and I'm still tempted by KTM's every now and then, but it was also a big relief to get a Yamaha. I think I'd buy the YZ250 but if I got a good deal on a new KTM (.ie not previously abused), I wouldn't think twice. Every bike has quirks. The Yamaha, for instance, is TALL, doesn't turn all that well, and tends to get a stiff clutch.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
They are both good bikes. I would suggest finding a way to ride the ktm before just going out and buying it. You may think its the best thing since sliced bread. I know people thats always rode japan bikes and just never feel comfortable with the ktm rear suspension. The shock hooks direct to the swing arm without the linkage found on the jap bikes. Lots of people love'em though and would'nt have anything else.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
2 strokes for life said:
NM_KDX200, the 200sx oe 2003 or 2004 are completly different beasts in compared to the 2006 and 2007 200EXC, XC-(W).
So, you think on the XC and XCW, that the shrouds, rear fender, seat bolt, air filter, etc. are different? They've fixed the leaky fork seals and hard to bleed brakes?

Don't get me wrong- I really liked mine and now I wish I'd kept it and learned to live with it. I looked at an '04 125sx yesterday that was impressive. The weight of the 450F is starting to be a bummer and I'm honestly thinking of going back to a 125. I was riding in steering lock circles on that KTM 125sx and I can't do that on the 450F. It just wants to fall over. Skip the brute power and speed of the 450F, I want to have fun riding and it's hard to beat a 125 for that. :nod: Plus, I never thought I'd say this, but I miss replacing pistons and clutches! ;)

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
mideastrider said:
They are both good bikes. I would suggest finding a way to ride the ktm before just going out and buying it. You may think its the best thing since sliced bread. I know people thats always rode japan bikes and just never feel comfortable with the ktm rear suspension. The shock hooks direct to the swing arm without the linkage found on the jap bikes. Lots of people love'em though and would'nt have anything else.
I rode my friend's '99 KTM xc and then he upgraded to an '07 xc-w. I did like how the KTMs handled. Im really interested in the xc-w.

Jan 3, 2007
NM_KDX200, well the engines power out put from the 200SX compared to the 200EXC, XC, XC-W are way different. I did not mean the plastics and such changed a hole lot. I think you should get into one of the KTM 144SX and call it done.

YZ/250, eaither you should put an 18inch rear wheel, all protectave parts, some bottom end porting, bottom end pipe, and flywheel weight on your bike and have more money in the poket or just go with a Stock KTM wich is about equal. The YZ250 can make a great woods bike, so you really have a couple of options.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
2 strokes for life said:
NM_KDX200, well the engines power out put from the 200SX compared to the 200EXC, XC, XC-W are way different. I did not mean the plastics and such changed a hole lot. I think you should get into one of the KTM 144SX and call it done.
The engine was the best part of the 200sx. GREAT motor.

An '05 KX125 followed me home yesterday. :ride:

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
Im really interested in the xcw. I just cant see putting all that money into a used bike.
Porting, flywheel weight, 18 inch wheel exc. I would really like to buy an 07 KTM. The 08s have electric starts. Im just not interested in the "extras". I like to keep it simple. Well see what happens...

Top Bottom