YZ owners - problems specific tothe YZ line?

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I’m looking into picking up a second bike. I’m thinking about a 97 to 00 YZ250. I’m planing on looking at a few over the next while. Other than the run of the mill used bike stuff I’m wondering if there are any problem areas/weak point I should be watching for that are specific to the YZ line? :think

Thanks for you help,

David

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
I’m ???
Dave drop me a PM I have got some buddys' selling there 250's And I can let you know more about each specific bike too, But I WOULD really recomend that you don't get a 97 and lean more towards the 99/00 maybe it's just because the dark blue in 97:confused:

1999 YAMAHA YZ250, excellent condition, Pro-Circuit pipe and silencer, Racetech susp, Renthal handlebars, well maintained, some extras, $4,800 obo. Ph (780) 539-5435. Grande Prairie.

1999 YAMAHA YZ250, Easton Pro taper handlebars, FMF Burly pipe, Uni air filter, new back tire, rear sprocket, etc, $4,800 obo. Ph (403) 845-2352, Rocky Mountain House, AB.

I hope those 2 help dave they are both REAL nice bikes! If you are wanting to spend 5900 I can get you a good 2001!!!!

OH YAH CHECK YOUR PM'S

Last edited:

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
The yz is a great bike I have had a 97 and a 99
If you use it for motocross then consider the fork cartriges as disposabe.
They need the oil changed very frequently and eventually wear out.
I dont like the yz gear ratios. The gap from 2 to 3rd is to wide and from 3 to 4 is to narrow. But dont let that keep you from buying one. After owning 2 I have the right to nitpic.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
Explain this fork cartridge thing? I have never heard of it before, I still know people who ride their 97-98's with no probs?

mopowa

Dec 6, 2000
The mid valve shim gets blown out making the suspension movement pretty busy. (lot of stroke quickly) A lot of riders wont notice it and some may even like it. The cartridges arent seviceable (Its what I heard but I know someone in hear knows differnt...anyone?) and need to be replaced if you are missing the firmer feel the forks once had.
I really like yzs but I wore the forks on my 99 out in one season. Changing fluid didnt help. Someone else explained all this cartridge stuff to me.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
A buddy of mine had 2 late model YZ's, I believe 98' and 00' and both of them had front fork seal problems. I didn't know him when he bought the first one, but the second one was leaking oil after 30 days. He rides mostly woods, and the shocks were stock. Yamaha refused to warranty either bike. On the upside, he never complained about anything else.

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
The cartridge is servicable and so is the mid valve. I don't feel that the YZ has any more problems with fork seals than other bikes. I have owned a couple.

jsmith811

Jun 21, 2000
I owned a 99 YZ250, Amazing bike, especially for beginners, power is all down low, lots of it, and VERY predictable. I understand alot of changes were made in 99, so I would try to at least get 99 Or up. Prices should not be more than 4 grand for a used bike, I got one LIKE NEW for 3300.00 99 model that is. I own a 4 stroke 250 yzf now, but I miss the two strokes. The 4 stroke is better around bike for me. I can ride slow with the kids without spark plugs fowling.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Thanks gents. This is the kind of info you just can't get in printed form. Those some glossy pics would be nice LOL

jsmith811 that's the kind of thing I like to hear, easy for beginner :), power is smooth with good bottom end.

Anyone owned/ ridden both a 98 and 99? How does the power delivery compair between the two?

David

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
I am good at breaking bikes

but My 00 125 will break.....
yamamotosphotos1.msnw

yamamotosphotos1.msnw

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Re: I am good at breaking bikes

Originally posted by Yamamoto
but My 00 125 will break.....
yamamotosphotos1.msnw

yamamotosphotos1.msnw

Do you mean it WILL break, or WILL NOT break?

-jeffd

Top Bottom