Symon-K

Oct 25, 2007
Hey there, I am a new guy on this forum and have been having a little bit of trouble with the bike I bought recently.
I purchased a second hand 1998 yz 125, And all was well for the first few weeks, then I noticed when riding in second gear it would some times slip into neutral? Plus there seemed to be these hidden half gears that the bike would go into, For EX slipping between 3-4 and 4-5th gears into a gear where it would just wind out and there would be no power. I always use the clutch when changing gears and I run my bike at a 32-1 mixture. The last time I rode the bike it was working but there was no build up to the power band, it would just wind out before you really got moving...
I have receipts for a top end rebuild last year, So compression is not the problem. Transmission? Clutch? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
I want to go RIDING!!

Thanks in advance, Symon.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
Your clutch is slipping badly, it doesn't sound like your tranny if it was that then you wouldn't be able to get it in gear, Your going to need a need clutch kit, but first check to see if your basket has notches where the fingers are or on the inner hub if no damage youll be good with a new clutch. Don't try and file the notches off you got to get a new basket if you file them off youll remove the hardening. slipping into neutral is sign of notched fingers

Symon-K

Oct 25, 2007
Thank you for your reply, I am going to bring it in to our local mechanic. I just wanted some input, What does a new clutch kit go for ? $
Thanks again, Symon.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I can't tell from your description if the transmission is getting knocked into neutral or if the clutch is slipping.

It is certainly possible that the transmission is not holding the gear and you are getting neutral. If you get neutral the engine should rev up very quickly and you won't have any power to the wheel at all. If this is the case you should be able to jab the shift lever again and have it go back into gear.

When the clutch slips the engine RPM will increase without the bike going faster. The rate at which the engine revs up will be a lot slower and you will have some power to the wheel.

Of the two problems, the clutch slipping is the preferred as it is fairly easy to correct. It is possible that you just need to adjust the clutch cable from the handle bar perch. There needs to be a little bit of "slop" when the clutch is all the way out. If it isn't a cable adjustment then you need to replace the clutch disks, which isn't a difficult proceedure.

If the transmission is not holding its gear then you will have a difficult and expensive rebuild to do.

Rod

Jun 28, 2006
Symon-K said:
Hey there, I am a new guy on this forum and have been having a little bit of trouble with the bike I bought recently.
I purchased a second hand 1998 yz 125, And all was well for the first few weeks, then I noticed when riding in second gear it would some times slip into neutral? Plus there seemed to be these hidden half gears that the bike would go into, For EX slipping between 3-4 and 4-5th gears into a gear where it would just wind out and there would be no power. I always use the clutch when changing gears and I run my bike at a 32-1 mixture. The last time I rode the bike it was working but there was no build up to the power band, it would just wind out before you really got moving...
I have receipts for a top end rebuild last year, So compression is not the problem. Transmission? Clutch? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
I want to go RIDING!!

Thanks in advance, Symon.

I could be way off here but I have never had a bad clutch cause any of my bikes to jump out of gear. I would suspect shift forks,shift forks pins,drum or even the gears could have the edges of the "dogs" worn. Sound like you have trans issues and clutch. Maybe confirm the issue just one more time to make sure what's happening to your bike.

Symon-K

Oct 25, 2007
While riding I will switch from first to second, Second will hold briefly, then it will loose the gear and rev up as it would in neutral, High RPMS and no power. Then after getting out of second some times the bike will slip out of 3 and do the same thing as if it was in neutral.
?? I think I need a new bike :(
Sucks when you buy stuff with a good running report and stuff like this happens.

Top Bottom