orlowskij

Sep 28, 2003
I just got my 04 YZ 125 and am looking for some more low end power. I ride motocross on tracks with some pretty big uphills, as well as riding some trails. Would you guys reccomend going to a 50 or 52 tooth rear sprocket? Stock is 48 right? Also, what size chain would be best to run these? Thanks

crackit

Oct 6, 2003
Hey Dude :o),

I got my self a 04 yz 125 as well, your the first person ive come across thats got one like mine :o).
Ive done a few mods to my bike all ready , i put a FMF Gold series chamber on it and a FMF shorty power core2 Silencer , which makes it go so much better.
In regards to the sprocket, it is a 48 tooth, I was told if i changed the sprocket to a 50 or 52 that ide loose abit of top end, but i guess it wouldnt be noticable :)

Twaaaaaant Twaaaaaaang

BigYZ

Jun 27, 2002
Maybe go with one less tooth on the front sprocket. You will loose some top end but you'll gain some down low. I think it'll be more noticable than changing the rear one.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I ran on my 02 yz 125 13/51 gearing, stock was 13/49, I ran the 13/51 the rest of the year. There was nice increase in snap coming outta the corners but the minor loss in top speed wasn't noticeable. Horse power hill (the biggest up hill) at washougal is a great test for that never got it out of 4th.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
losing one tooth on the front is the same as adding four to the back. changing the front or counter sprocket can normally be done with out changing the chain.your ajustment can take up a one -two tooth change.if you get a 50 on the rear with one link longer on the chain you should be able to change between counter sprockets if you want as well as the two you have in the rear to give 4 choices of gearing so you can tune the bike to different tracks. if you go trail riding on tough tight trails your lowest combination would be your best friend.it will climb walls compaired to stock and give you somthing to play with ----have fun

Top Bottom