mx481

Nov 25, 2001
I'm looking at a 02 KTM 250 SX how would it compare to my 96 YZ 250 handling and motor.

I'm 47 and ride motcross only, C level thanks.

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
If you liked the Yamaha get another one. I'm a 40B level rider and never did feel like I was a part of the bike on a KTM. You sit ON it rather than being a part OF it. It's hard to explain if you haven't been there. Also check the parts prices- KTM is VERY proud of their parts!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
haha, why does everyone keep complaining about ktm parts being expensive? i dont know of a single jaapanese bike where you can order your parts online and have them at your door in 3days for the same price as buying from a dealership. OEM parts may be expensive but aftermarket replacement parts are the exact same!!!

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Originally posted by mxer842
haha, why does everyone keep complaining about ktm parts being expensive? i dont know of a single jaapanese bike where you can order your parts online and have them at your door in 3days for the same price as buying from a dealership. OEM parts may be expensive but aftermarket replacement parts are the exact same!!!

At least you can get them in 3 days. I've heard of several people around here waiting 2 months for  KTM parts. We even had kid finish the last 3 races on a KLX110 in the 65 class because they couldn't get the part for his KTM 65.

Susan

Nordegg

Nov 5, 2002
KTM vs. Yamaha: yup, they feel different. Which is better depends on what you're used to. I personally like the KTM and feel very much a part of the bike, but hey different strokes.

On parts prices I find them to vary dramatically. Some are easily explainable, like hydraulic clutch parts are more expensive than cable parts. On the other hand why are KTM plastic panels half the price of Japanese stuff? Magazine comparisons usually show KTM parts midpack overall in prices, but with wild swings from part to part. YRMV.

On parts availability, part of it could be the dealer, but KTM put lots of money into inventory over the past couple of years. I get stuff very quickly, quicker than from Honda (previous bike).

Good luck!

Top Bottom