May 3, 2005
hey all i just signed up here and i have a question. My buddy has a '97 YZ125 he wants to sell me for $2000! He's throwing in 4 extra rear tires(still good tread) boots and pants(the boots were $300). The bike has been raced but is always taken care of. The bike has pro circuit exhaust, pro taper handlebars, new clutch and brake levers, 2000 plastics, it has been jetted, a realativly new chain, and it has a race transmission....i beleive some other things but i cant remember. ive never had a dirt bike so he will be teaching me how to shift and stuff( i drive a standard 2002 VW GTI so i have some idea of standard trannys) as this will be my first. ive seen it and it starts right up and he rode it around and it seems in good shape. what do you guys think? you all know alot more than i do. o yeah im 21 yrs old and about 6 ft tall. ive sat on it and it is comfortable. i appreicate any help you can give. :cool: thanks!!

May 3, 2005
beats me!?!? he said it had a race tranny in it. i assume its beefed up for racing, possibly new gears, different ratios, etc. can anyone help me out on if this could be correct?? thanks!

simple50

Feb 2, 2005
You should be able to find a 2001 or 2002 yz125 in the same condition for 2 grand. $ 2000 for a for a 2 stroke that's almost 9 years old is pretty steap. Especially with how cheap 125cc 2 strokes are going for these days. You shouldn't pay more than $1500 for that bike. And maybe offer $100 for the used gear.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Just did a quick price check on www.cycletrader.com and there are SEVERAL 2000-2003 YZ 125's on there in the $2000 price range. $2k for a 1997 is too much. I wouldn't give more than $1400 for it. If you can, definately try to get a '00 or newer (I'd avoid the '01 since you're a new rider, the '01 had very little low end power compared to the other years).

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Your friend probably just calls it a "race transmission" because it's a race bike...I highly doubt it has anything more than what came stock...

It's probably a good idea not to buy a bike from someone that'll tell you something like that.

Top Bottom