eddie1

Oct 17, 2007
1) your physical size.....5/6....155lb
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? ....very like to jump everything.
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, trails.
4) Do you have any riding experience?....on/off for 3 years...full for about 6 months
5) Do you think you will race ?...yes 100% sure
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?....90% yes.....my buddies now the rest
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?...2-stroke mainly 4 if better forthe situtation....i like yamaha.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?....yamaha of warren...they carrie it all
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?...1500-2500
10) Do you live in California? nope...ohio
11) Your age? 16
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.....i like simple bikes....easy to work on.

I'm torn between a yz125 and yz250.......half my friend n people say yz125...the other yz250.......anyhelp is great.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
We'll if your aggressive and want to ride trails you would be happier with the YZ250.

I do think you will get bored with the 125 eventually. And for trails you would want the extra bottom end of the 250.

eddie1

Oct 17, 2007
not sound to noobish(just don't have the money to buy the wronge bike)

what about ride height...me being 5/6 155 ....will that pose problems on a 250 ridingthrough above average roughness of trials.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Then the 250 is the way to go, it will last as long as you take care of it and replace the top end like you should and run a smart mix ratio, don't take chances, mix 32:1 because a racing engine needs lube. However, their may not be many d class riders on 250's if you are seriouse about racing, most of the time the track is full of 125's in the d classes. You can grow into the 250 and still have more power than you'll ever need with it but don't be fooled, the 125 can tote a load as well and is more nimble than it's heavier brother. You can always change springs on the 125 to accomodate increases in your weight.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
actually i think the YZ125 is a couple inches taller than the YZ250. Na matter what each bike may be a little tall.. You can get stuff to lower the suspension or you can just get used to it. either way i still think the 250 ill be better. More power to grow into and like for awhile.

Also like just_a_rider there wont be as many in-experienced races on 250's. so if your serious about racing maybe a 125 will be better. But if your there to have fun then you can go with a 250.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
To get into your price range you will be buying an older bike, but since the 125 is a little less expensive it could be found for a little less.

What size bikes do your buddies ride? If your friends all have 250 two strokes you aren't going to be happy on a 125 when you get on fast trails and they leave you in the dust.

If you are sure you want to race then I recommend that you go down to a track where you might be racing and check out what the competition is like. You may find that the popularity of 125 two strokes has waned to the point that the class is very small. On the other hand, you may find that the guys riding 250s are so far above your skill level that you won't be competitive.

As far as your size: you still might grow a bit and even at 5' 6" you should be okay on a full size bike. If you are serious about racing you need a "MX" bike and to get a smaller frame you would have to go even smaller than 125, which I do not recommend.

A 125 is a great bike and will be loads of fun. It does create a few additional challenges especially when you get to hill climbs. If you are racing in a class with other 125 then you will be fine, but if you end up in an open class the 250s will tear you apart.

If everything else comes up equal then I would buy a 250. A couple of years from now you are very unlikely to say to yourself "Gee, I wish I had bought the 125 instead!".

Rod

eddie1

Oct 17, 2007
one last noobish question

If i was to go to any random track in OHIO what is the likelyhood that they allow 250's to race......same for 125's

Top Bottom