yzfvsyz

Mar 27, 2005
What are the maintenance requirements for these bikes? What would the maintanence be for the yz125 what would it be like for the yz250f? (I would be riding pretty hard 1-4 times a week.) How often would i have to replace the top and bottom end on the 125? on the 250f?

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
Well there is sort of a trade off. There is a little more maintenance on the 125 but it's alot easier to maintenance than the 250F. On the 125 you have to change the rings every 15 hours. On a 250F you dont have to as often. But you can do it in less than 30 minutes. On a 250F it would take a couple hours to do right. Also 2-strokes have a little bit finikier jetting but again it's real easy to change quickly versus having to do it on a 4-stroke. You'll have to change oil every 4-5 rides on either bike but on the 250F the filter has to be changed too. I guess in the end it sort of works out.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
Seems like it's been easier to maintain a two-stroke since I've gone back to one from a four-stroke. The 05' YZ125 is a very low maintenance two-stroke. The 250F has more moving parts so if one part goes bad it may effect other parts. From my experience, you can't jump on a four-stroke, beat the balls off of it and expect to not do any maintenance on it. If someone tells you a new motocrosser four-stroke is a more low-maintenance machine than a two-stroke then they are lying to you because there are just as many maintenance intercals on the new four-strokes as there are for the two-strokes. It may be true for an XR or sumthin because they don't make enough power to blow themselves up.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I was a long-time 125 rider, tried the 4-stoke thing briefly, but they just aren't any fun for me. I'll give you what I've learned, after a long history on the 2-stroke. Keep in mind, I'm a woods rider now, and don't keep the bike as "pinned all the time" like an MXer would.
I never really followed the owners manual to a T...(rings every few races). I did rings religously every 30hrs. and then a top-end at 60hrs. Wear was always good and predictable at these intervals, and not too costly. (never have suffered a top-end failure due to excessive wear) Rings and base gasket...20-30 bucks. Complete top-end...80-100. And I always split cases to take a look at lower-end every-other year..(every 2 years). I've heard the YZ125 is a long-lasting bike and if it was me in your shoes, I'd go 125. Use a good synthetic 2-stroke oil at a safe ratio, keep air filter clean, change tranny oil about every 5hrs., and ALWAYS let bike warm-up...(cold seizures are easy to do on a 125). Find a good jetting combo acording to temperature, write them down, and get used to re-jetting to fit the weather. Smoke 'em on the downhills!

Top Bottom