peterttr230

Mar 26, 2007
I'm not quite sure what i am going to get for my next bike i am really excited to get into racing and buying a new bike. I recently purchased a 2006 TTR 230 at the begining of the season. It has been a great bike for me so far. I Am starting to realize that its getting to slow for me and i am getting to big for it. I am 6ft 180lbs and i would like to start racing. I want a 2 stroke but i heard that they have to be rebuilt alot and you blow through spark plugs easy when you are in trails riding in 1st or 2nd gear. Is this True? If so how much does it cost for them to rebuild the top and bottem ends for you? This is the main reasons why i want the yz250f because it is a 4 stroke. I also heard that they are expensive to rebuild ranging from $400-$600 (Canadian) I have been riding for 3 years and i am puzzled can you guys please help me out?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The YZ will have a high performance engine compared to your TTR. The compression will be a lot higher which produces more horsepower but it requires premium gas, will be harder to kick, will be a lot more finicky and when pushed hard will wear out a lot faster than your TTR.

They will also give you a thrilling ride!

If you are interested in racing then I highly recommend that you make it to a few races and check out the rules and who (or how many) is riding what class. You may find that if you buy a YZ250F you will be racing against 250 two strokes, which won't be a fair race at all. Either the YZ125 or YZ250F would be a great bike for racing but one might get you into a class where you would have more company or similar skill levels.

Rod

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
I doubt that he'd be racing 250 2-strokes with a 250 4-stroke - a 250 2-stroke is the same class as a 450 4-stroke.

On to your question of YZ125 vs YZ250F:

The YZ125 will be slightly lighter, and easier to start when hot as compared to the 250F. The 250F has a bit more power, especially down low, and will be easier to ride overall. The 250F will cost more to maintain as well, or repair if you blow it up. So, there's pros and cons to both. I'd say find someone with one to ride and see what you think, compare for yourself.

As for rebuilding the 2 stroke alot - hogwash. They don't require any more maintenance than a 4 stroke. Maybe if you were a pro, you'd need a new top end that frequently. Hope this helps

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
DieselTech said:
As for rebuilding the 2 stroke alot - hogwash. They don't require any more maintenance than a 4 stroke. Maybe if you were a pro, you'd need a new top end that frequently. Hope this helps

I see in your header it says "always breaking something". Now we know why!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom