YZ125, YZ250 Or CRF250R

Ham398

Aug 15, 2019
Looking for some advice on my next bike.
I weigh about 135 and I’m 5’7. Just came off of a 2008 KTM 200 XC-W (absolutely the best bike), used for technical woods riding. Recently sat on a 12 CRF250R and really made me miss riding tracks. So now I want an mx bike, but can’t decide what would be best for me. I liked the CRF250R, I was comfortable on it. But the maintenance and risk factor of buying a used 4 stroke worries me. I’ve been looking at some left over 2018s, but I’m not sure if that’s what I want or not. My other option was a YZ125, as I’ve heard the old saying that if you can learn to ride a 125 fast you can ride any bike fast. And I have a cr85 that’s a blast, so the 125 would just be a bigger bike. But I do like equal torque. I’ve looked at the 150sx but I’ve heard they have a lot of problems. Honda’s and Yamaha’s seem to be more reliable, especially used. The YZ250 looks like an awesome bike, and I like that it’s an all-purpose, can do it all kind of bike. But I’m intimidated by it, even though I’ve never tried it. I feel like it might be too much bike? I don’t know anyone that I could try one out. I just want a good, fun bike that I can learn the basics like cornering and jumping, etc. that’s safer. I can handle power pretty well, I have an old big bore TRX250R with raw powerband. Pulls your arms right off but I love it. But bikes are a lot different. So I’m curious to hear what you guys and gals think?

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Simple, you indicate you like to trail ride, and you want power, well you should opt for a nice YZ-250x, why you ask, because its a great all around bike. You can moto it , you can enduro it, its cheap to run, cheap to repair, and its bigger than a 125, which means you wont be doing top ends as much. If Honda would bring back the CR-250R then the choice is obvious, the 250R is the ultimate choice.....Yamaha come get some!!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…