Dave88

May 25, 2004
hey i just got an 03 yzf250. i love the bike. I am just wondering how i go about checking valve clearances. I dont want this thing to blow up on me. Thanks!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000

Dave88

May 25, 2004
hey i just checked my clearances. The exhaust is within spec. the intake however is .09 mm. spec is .10mm - .17mm. is it imperative that i fix this right away or will i be okay to keep an eye on it and fix it if it starts getting worse.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You might as well do it while you're in there. Its only gonna get tighter. A shim and a few minutes is better than a whole top end and several hours.

Dave88

May 25, 2004
yeah i'll take care of it but my question is do i run any serious risk of screwing it up if i ride it for a little until i have time to take care of it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Dave88 said:
yeah i'll take care of it but my question is do i run any serious risk of screwing it up if i ride it for a little until i have time to take care of it.

If you are out of limits, fix it. You may still have clearance when the engine is cold but, when everything heats up, that clearance goes away due to the heat expansion in the metal. If you don't have the proper clearance your valves will not close all of the way and hot gasses will burn the valve face and seat. This happens very quickly and will result in having to replace the valves, re-cut the seats or possibly have to replace the head.

It's your call. :cool: Awww, what the hell, it's only money. ;)

Top Bottom