Jun 10, 2009
I just bought a '00 yz250 from a buddy for 1500, never ridden a dirtbike before. I have raced raptor's when they first came out, then moved onto modding banshees for ET.

I am about 230lbs, 6 foot flat, I sat on a couple other bikes, a ttr 250 and a cr250, and the cr felt alot better to me, the ttr felt like a tank and was a little small.

I started out riding quads 3 years ago, and my first one was a raptor 660, before that it was all 4x4.

I talked to a few people about riding this bike, and they pretty much told me to take it slow, and not to go over my limits with it, since I know how to use a clutch and shift correctly it would be a lot easier then if I had just switched from automatics. Any inputs? I take things slow and I am not planning on racing, mostly riding on gravel roads and asphalt, no real other off road activities here, no sand or deep gravel.

Wondering who started out on a bigger bike, and if there are any problems I should watch out for. I am a A&P mechanic and know my way around anything mechanical.

Last edited:

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Good bike

The '00 YZ250's are good bikes.
Make sure that the cable wheel inside the throttle housing has been replaced with the new (recalled) part. The old part apparently had a tendancy to allow the throttle cable to jump the guide wheel and jam. Call your dealer with the VIN # on your frame and they can tell you if it was replaced. If it has not been replaced take it in and get the recall done now.

You will be fine with that bike just keep a finger on the clutch lever always. Many people added some flywheel weight to tame the hit a little and aid traction. I never did. I have found the '00 to be durable (with reasonable maintenance), easy to work on, and a blast to ride. The stock fork springs were .43 and stock shock rate was 4.8. I weigh 205 and run .48 fork springs, and a 5.4 shock spring and these work great for me. Enjoy your new bike.

Jun 10, 2009
Got to ride it for the first time, surprisingly did not stall, once I got going it felt very similar to riding a quad.

I am wondering if I put a bigger rear sprocket, would it lessen that low end hit of power, and give me less acceleration with more speed? I don't ever plan to race, as there is no where to race at, so cruising around and speed is all I am after.

Thanks!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I wouldn't recommend going to a larger rear sprocket, you will probably want the top speed. If you want to tame the hit a little simply shift to second gear a bit sooner. Or start off there.

The YZ is a great bike but if all you have are asphalt and gravel roads then I sure wouldn't recommend a YZ. I am not sure of the laws in Alaska but in California there is no way that bike would be street legal or could even be made street legal, and any road that is paved requires a street legal vehicle.

If the bike has knobbie tires don't expect them to last long on asphalt!

Alaska has all that land and no off road opportunities?

Rod

Jun 10, 2009
I live near the arctic ocean coast, only tundra around, so the paved roads are a great place to ride, I save my ATV's for the tundra and woods. I got my ratios confused, I meant go to a smaller rear sprocket for speed. Anything is legal to drive on the paved roads here, have had some nice races out of town on paved straightaways with quads. Cops dont care at all.

I was looking at a 11oz steahly, what is required to put it on? I am assuming it mounts on the outside of the flywheel, so I just need a wrench set.

Top Bottom