CApilot

Nov 6, 2004
I have two 2004 YZ250's, one is stock, except for FMF Turbin Core 2 silencer, jetting is right out of the book, pilot jet 50, needle second notch, main 178. Runs strong, still possibly a little rich. The other bike has the same silencer, and also has the FMF Fatty pipe. This bike is apparently running really rich, lots of spooge and wet plugs, and I have noticed smoke coming from the powevalve vent line. I have the pilot jet down to 45, and still seems rich. Is this normal for these bikes jetting to be so different, and should I continue to try to go smaller on the pilot. Or is there something else wrong.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
To add to your confusion, I have 2003 (same engine as 04) with Factory Fatty. I get smoke from the vent line also but my bike is running lean. Fmf reccommends 178 main needle in 3rd pos. and a 50 pilot. I run 178 main 2nd clip pos. and a 52 pilot. Its running lean. The bike surges in the midrange. But if I put the needle in the 3rd clip pos. to fatten up the midrange the pilot is too fat. And the bike won't stay on during idle with a leaner 50. 48 pilot makes it rev out like its sucking air in massive amounts, won't shut off with kill switch.

Only thing I have left to try is a 180 main. and if that don't work I may just dump the stupid FMF and go with the PC Platinum I had before. Never had one issue with the PC pipe. The FMF has been a headache from day 1...

CApilot

Nov 6, 2004
I'll try a couple of more things, and I was thinking of putting the stock pipe back on and see what that does. Thanks for the info

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
For whatever its worth here's my jetting spec for my 05YZ250. Jetted at sea level, to 500ft. VP ultimate 4 race fuel.

60 degrees and above
165m
std needle 2nd clip
45 pilot
air screw 2.0 out

40-60 degrees
168/170
std needle 3rd clip
45 pilot
air screw 1.5 to 1 3/4

Both settings, no idle is run, idle screw backed out untill slide closes.

CApilot

Nov 6, 2004
I plan to check the reeds when I get a chance, and while I'm doing that I will check the powervalve, and clean it up if it needs it, Will give it another try this weekend, thanks for the input everyone

Top Bottom