gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I just bought this bike recently (a 2001 yz250) and the kickstarter is noticeably different than other bikes I've owned (kdx200 and cr250).

On my other bikes, once you get the piston to tdc the kickstart 'engages' near the vertical position - about 11 o'clock on a clockface.

On the yz, the highest point I can get the kickstart to engage is about 9-10 o'clock. It engages so low that the range of kicking is very short. I've found that in order to get a long enough range of motion, I need to put my foot on the kickstarter at an angle so I can kick past the point where my foot would normally hit the peg.

I have the kickstart lever set to the correct position according to the service manual. I am unsure if this is just the nature of the bike or if perhaps the internal gear system is not setup correctly?

I just got the bike back from Gorr and I figured that if it was out of whack he would have mentioned it.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
John

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
This doesn't help... but I'm have similar kickstart problems on my '01 YZ 125. I think I'll end up having to open her up later this winter... its gotten noticably worse with time. If the bike didn't start so easy it would be a real problem.

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
I have a similar problem with my '01 YZ 125. My kickstart return spring has never been right and I have to lift the kickstarter with my foot if it doesn't start on the first kick. Good thing it starts on the first kick 9 times out of 10. I think they had a weak return spring in '01. Not really a big deal for me, but I do have a new one on standby whenever I get tired of it.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
That very well could be my problem too... the return spring. Like va_yzrider, I'm one kick start almost every time, so I won't be fussing much with it unless it continues to get worse. BTW, where did you get the return spring you've got, a Yamaha dealer, or elsewhere?

YZ250Guy

Jan 18, 2003
yamaha of troy has a great web site but I am still waiting on my order that I placed 2 1/2 weeks ago. They promised me the crankshaft bearings over a week ago for my 2001 YZ250. According to someone at customer support they just changed computer systems and all of the recent orders have been delayed. Since this is my first time dealing with them how would you rate them? As far as the kickstater engaging question my bike's spring works great but I do not have that much space to kickstart it. I have learned to put my foot in a certain location and I do pass the footpeg by 3-4 inches. Of course I don't really mind too much since it is easy to start (unless I let it sit)

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Yeah, they did change their system (only I'm not sure exactly how recently). They used to have part numbers for everything so you could create lists for when you needed parts in the future (time saver). They don't have the part numbers like they used to.

As far as how I would rate them, my experience with them has been excellent! I have received all of my orders as fast as I would from anyone else. Either way it sure beats going to a dealer (unless you have a really good dealer).

Top Bottom