YZ250 or WR450F or others...for a 235 lb rider. Suggestions?!?

YFZRob

Aug 2, 2005
Hey everyone....I'm new to the site and looking for some advice. I am trying to decide on a bike. I have limited experience, the only one being an '89 KX500 that I only put about 12 hours of trail riding on. I quickly became lazy and moved onto a quad (a KFX400 at the time, now a YFZ450 and '88 TRX250R), which I regret in a way. Here in Florida, the trails are loaded with sand, which always gave me the fits on my KX500. I never had the patience to deal with riding in thick sand, although I was slowly becoming comfortable with it right when I sold the KX. Well, I am wanting more of a challenge, and also something that won't beat the crap out of me. I'm a 26 year old who's starting to feel old too early....hopefully a bike will relieve me of this problem. Another problem is that I'm 6'0" and 235 lbs.....something I'm working on, but doubt I'll see much under 225 :bang: . SO, with all that said, here's what I am considering....

2003-2005 YZ250 used, $2500-4000. Great bike from what I see, 05 being the best....but harder to find and a slight price preminum...is the 05 worth the wait and money to find??

New 06 WR450F, around $6k from Lake Hill Motors in MS. Everyone seems to be pleased with this bike, and I have plenty of experience with the motor. I've already researched all the "free" mods, which are basically the same as the free mods on my YFZ450.

The issue I have is that my KX500 was a BRUTE! I disliked starting it mostly, but it also rode like a BIG bike. Having the 500 as my main bike experience, anytime I ride a 250cc, I feel like it's like a toy, which is why I am leaing that way.

Also, I have no plans for MX racing, except maybe some play time on the track, so the majority of my riding will be on trails. We have pretty fast, wide open trails around here in Florida, so the added benefit of torque on the WR doesn't really benefit all that much. Money isn't a concern, but I'm nervous dropping the $$ on a new one since I may give up again and sell it after a year, taking a bigger hit over used.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Hopefully some of you can give me some suggestions. Or any recommendations on other bikes to consider. Maybe the KTM SXC line? 250 or 300 SXC??

Last edited:

PsychoCW

Jan 31, 2002
I'd go for a KTM or a YZ. I currently have a KTM450EXC and I am looking to move to a 2-stroke because of the weight and handling of the 4-stroke. I race GNCC and harescrambles and pushing at race speeds on the 450 in tight woods can really take a lot out of you. I'm sure the Yamaha would be the same. My picks would be the 300EXC (lots of smooth power). If you plan to race I'd lean towards the two strokes - KTM probably being the best out of the box and the YZ being good but needing lots of mods. Didn't see where you are riding but a big 4stroke is more of a open trails/logging road machine IMHO. Good luck!

Top Bottom