YZ250 pipe worth the/waste of $$$$?

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Just bought a FMF SST for my '00 YZ 250. After riding on both trails and track I have to admit I'm disappointed after shelling out $225. Put the stocker back on and it actually seems to have more bottom without much difference in mid-top. Techs from FMF say I have to go with the shorty silencer to make this pipe work. One of the major mags. (Dirt Rider/Bike?) not sure which one did a one page test on the 00 YZ 250 and said the SST rips compared to stock. My local shop, biggest in the PNW says Yamaha has more $$$$ in their R & D budget than all the after market pipe guys do in their dreams and the stock pipes are best. Any imput would be great.

P.S. anybody want a good deal on a very slightly used SST?

Crusty

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
On some bikes you should use the SST silencer as it is different to the std FMF.Unless you use the correct silencer you cant really judge the performance:( Also is your jetting very close-if not it can really make a difference.The SST may require rejetting.On my 01 Cr125 i recently richened up the jetting to compensate for the cooler weather and it felt like a different bike-lots more power.

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
I had to go down one on the pilot and move the needle a position on my bike and as soon as I did that the bike ran like a bat out of hell!

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Thanks for the feedback re. jetting and the gnarly. I will definitely work on the jetting and if nothing else works try the gnarly as another option.
Thanks,
Crusty

Tracktor2

Oct 3, 2001
Save your money-
I have a friend who has tried every pipe combination possible on an '01YZ250 and always seems to go back to stock. I know that is a year newer but I believe that the engines are similiar. I just put on a PC shorty and mine runs great (same bike). I was waiting for him to find the perfect combination and then I would spend the money, but I gues I had it all along.

Giles

crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
Hey Tractor2:

I was tempted to buy a PC shorty because I just got one for my son's 02 KX 85 and it's not that much louder than stock...gave it a nice low tone. Even though this would be a "half breed" set up with the FMF pipe--if I keep it at all--I wondered how it would run with the stock pipe. Did it really make a noticeable differnce?

Dennis/aka Crusty1
:D :D

Tracktor2

Oct 3, 2001
It seemed to give it just a little more low end. It definately sounds better, if you keeped it packed. I would like a little more run out on top but that is just knitpicking.

Giles

Top Bottom