YZ250 spark arrestor/silencer issue??

cheeze433

May 21, 2009
Hey guys,
I have a question. I took my silencer apart to repack it. I admit, I neglected the silencer and didn't repack it as often as I should have. It's been a while but I don't ride a whole lot either. Anyway, I had one of those Moose cartridges in it. When I took the thing apart, the cartridge had come apart and the packing was everywhere. When I got it cleaned up, I noticed that about 80-90% of the little holes in the metal insert part that the packing gets wrapped around, were plugged solid. I mean solid. I tried brake cleaner, parts cleaner, etc, no luck. I had to take a small pick and poke each hole to get the black soot out of it. It sucked. My question is, what kind of performance issues woud this cause on a bike? My bike is having issues with idle - 1/8 throttle bogging and cutting out. I cleaned the carb and I'm also doing the silencer. Any input is really appreciated. Thanks.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
You should get a blow torch and heat the grating up next time, it should drip out. When I didn't have one I also had to poke out each individual hole, took forever. But your bogging issue sounds like maybe one of the jets are clogged. Give your carb a good cleaning over.

Top Bottom