YZ250Guy

Jan 18, 2003
What should I do to a bike that got soaked in mud/water? I kinda went down in a mud pit and the bike fell over on me. That means that the whole bike was under water for 30 seconds. I plan to pull the top end off, rebuild the carbs, clean the exhaust system out, and I do not know what else. Any ideas? Thanks

nickdask8

Nov 11, 2003
check out the airbox to make sure no dirt or mud or water is sneaking around in there another good thing to do is check your cam water can get squeezed through the rings and into the bottom end which can get into the cam and really screw things up i know becuase it happend to my friend

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Was it running when it went in the water? If so then it sucked water into the cylinder and you'd be best off if you split the cases and clean out the crank bearings.

2 strokes a easier because water won't go into the tranny from the cylinder but it can get in through the vent tube. Drain the oil and see if there is any water. Muddy water in the tranny can be death on it so you'd need to split the cases and clean it out.

Otherwise you have a good plan. Good luck

my250

Mar 19, 2002
you better get that machine running as quick as you can. do everything the boys told you to do above. it happened to me. it was submerged for like 5 secs though. water throughout the entire bike - top, bottom, carbs, airbox, everywhere

start it man ..... start it

YZ250Guy

Jan 18, 2003
I am working on pulling the bike apart now. I had a fun time getting the head off becuase the piston would not go down. I finally got the head to go up but since the piston would not go down I was not able to get the head off. I also tried to take the piston off but the stupid pin will not come out. There is so much dirt/sand in the bottom end so I took a whole bottle of WD40 and sprayed all over. I was finally about to push the piston down and get the head off. Now how do I get the Piston off without bending the connecting rod? (Yess I did take off the clips). When I get home tonight I plan to split the cases and start to rebuild everything. Right now I am thinking that I am happy that the bike did not start. With all of the junk in the carbs, airfilter (completely), and both the top end and the bottom end I am sure I would have destroyed something. I have never done the bottom end so any help/tips would be great. Thanks

DCWarren

Sep 2, 2002
Definately find someone who has split and reassembled cases and does it with the proper tools. An engine with some rust can be a bit more challenging to disassemble. I had one a few years ago that was a mystery. It wouldn' kick over, we had to put it up on a stand in 5th gear and work the wheel back and forth to get it to move. Then it wouldn't start of course. Go out the next day and the same thing. I took the pipe off, which was unusally heavy (first clue), and dumped out about a half a gallon of water. Turns out that the kid wouldn't let his "friend" ride his bike so the friend put a garden hose in the silencer and filled it up. Needless to say it took more than average effort to get the engine apart.

YZ250Guy

Jan 18, 2003
warrend I really hope that I can do this myself. I rebuilt the top end on this bike and I have only put two hours on it. The only problem is I let the bike sit for 2 days before I was able to get to it. I have split cases before but this was on my street race bikes. Hopefully there is not much difference. I have the engine out and I am currrently rebuilding the carbs. The bottom end still turns freely except the piston does not move freely on the pin. I am hoping to completely remove the piston/pin & the crankshaft as one unit and soak it in something to make it loose enough for me to salvage the crankshaft. Does anyone know if I really have to have the special tools to do this or can I get away with items like steering wheel puller (I have not gotten this far to see if this is even an option), soft hammer, luck...???? BTW this is a 01 YZ250. Thanks

Top Bottom