YZ250F aftermarket exhaust, decisions?!

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I want to add a new head pipe and muffler to my YZ250F and I have narrowed my choices to the Pro-cicuit T-4 and the FMF Powercore IV, (i cant find the White Bros E-seris cheap enuff). Believe it or not, I have got a quote for the Pro cicuit complete at $369 and the FMF at $330. Anyway, the Pro circuit has an optional spark arrestor for sale that fits on the end of this pipe for $25..It seems the FMF makes you chose the muffler and it has to be a spark arrestor muffler or strictly moto.. Has anyone purchased either one and has any feedback on any aftermarket pipes? They have been getting great reviews and I think having the ability to add a S/A when needed would be a nice feature.. Any comments are appreciated, thanks??

------------------

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I wouldn't even consider either one of those soley because they are both WAY TOO @%#$%ING LOUD. I had a DSP which has the same muffler can as the FMF and I couldn't even stand to ride it. Nevermind annoying everyone else, I couldn't concentrate on riding with that roar in my ears. It is THAT bad.

I just ordered a Dr. D exhaust which is reportedly much quieter and seems to have unanimous(sp) praise from all the mags. The Dr. D comes with the spark arrestor which is easily removed.

I wouldn't run anything that is 104 or 105 db. even if it was free.......

That's my 6.7684 cents worth...

------------------
osheen

BRC, AMA life member

'01 YZ250F, '79 KX250, '77 KD100m (first bike), '75 Road Toad, '74 Z50

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
for whatever it's worth, i raced a yz250f in a texas cross country event this weekend. it has an fmf power core iv s.a. with stock header, and the bike absolutely ripped. the horsepower gain over stock is very noticable. this pipe, like all the fmf power core's for yz's that i have tried, seems to yield a mid-to-top kind of powerband.

------------------
will pattison
engineer, racer
ignition
www.ignitioninc.com

xchecker

Dec 8, 2000
You should check out www.teamthump.com

I have one of team thumps pipes and it makes a big difference. The bottom end is more like a 250 than a 125 now it revs more freely and the top end has a lot more for a lot longer. I road around for about a week and put the stock pipe on for a comparison and the stock pipe made it feel anemic. This is the only pipe that I know of that utilizes an insert in the header to give bottom end punch while maintaining the top end revability. I thought the power band was wide with the stock pipe. The Teamthump pipe makes it much wider.

------------------

Arby

Mar 19, 2001
This month's Dirt Bike magazine did a 20 pipe
shootout for the YZ250F. You might want to
check it out.

------------------

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
i rode my buddys 250f for the first time last week i was not all that impressed. i didnt feel like it pulled any harder than my 01 125. we just got back from riding this morning, he put the fmf power bomb(i think thats what he called it) on his and an sst on mine. the 250f rips its a big differnce in power over the stock pipe. his bike now smokes mine in the long up hills. yes it is loud but it is worth the power,imho.

------------------

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
thanks for all the feedback.. yeah, i have the transworld mx issue and dirtbike with the pipe shootouts...i am under the impression that most pipes you can add or remove the spark arrestor, and that the FMF you cant, it is either spark arrestor or not.. I was under that impression that the spark arrestor may down play the power, and I have never had to use a s/a, but if I went to a park and they required it, it would be nice to have the ability to add it..

------------------

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
I have been doing an extensive comparison on the pipes and have narrowed it down to three pipes.

1. Dr. Dubach - as osheen has stated has great ratings from all the mags. It also has an optional s/a and a quiet insert. This pipe is 102 db without the quiet insert, haven't yet heard a reading with the quiet insert installed. Not sure how much these pipes are being discounted in price.

2. Pro Circuit - has good or excellent ratings from all the mags, has an optional s/a. Good all around power and good throttle response. As you have noted, you can get this one at a discount.

3. Yoshimura - has good or excellent ratings, excellent fit and finish, accepts the stock heat shield, and good all around power. Disadvantage - kind of pricey, no quiet insert that I'm aware of. 102 db noise level is one of the quieter aftermarket pipes without a quiet insert.

I think your decision boils down to if you want to favor low to mid power or mid to upper power. Also consider if you will need the ability to quickly install a s/a and/or a quiet insert. I personally have a need to install a quiet insert for riding at various places, but want the ability to remove it when I am racing on a closed course. I have also heard the FMF pipe and the DSP pipe and they are excessively loud. I would not buy them for that reason alone either.

I think I'm leaning toward the Dr. Dubach pipe myself. I would like to hear about the noise level and performance with the quiet insert installed.

------------------
01 YZ250F
00 TTR-125L
00 TTR-90
00 PW-50

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Hey Xchecker, thanks for the post of www.teamthump.com. Jeff has emailed me back with a price about $380, he too states that low and top ends significantly boosted, and the pipe is loud, (which doesnt bother me). Can you add a spark arrestor insert if needed to this pipe, I havent heard back from them yet, let me know if you can. Thanks!!!

------------------

BCooper

Aug 9, 2000
McDermott,
I have the WR (w/o baffle)which tested at 99dB while idling. With a twist of the throttle it would easily push 114dB. Way loud!!!! I bought the Big Gun Race series pipe with the quiet core insert which brought it down to around 96dB when revved. The only problem I'm having now is jetting this thing. My powerband has been narrowed drastically and is all on top. The bottom still feels the same, the midrange is lazy, but when it get on top it gets scary fast(major difference) I'm still fooling with the jetting so maybe I can get my midrange back (thats where I ride the most!) So far, I don't like it nearly as much as my stock pipe w/ baffle removed, but I can pass the sound checks with this pipe.
Coop

------------------
2001 WR250F

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
and the pipe is loud, (which doesnt bother me).
[/B]

Well, not to be a pain but it's bothering EVERYONE ELSE thats the problem.

The greenies do nothing but gather support for their cause with every ear shattering bike out in the woods "disturbing the peace"

Personally, I'D like to ride until I'm old and grey.

Just something to think about

------------------
Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time..

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Thanks for all the replys... I decided to go with the pro-circuit T-4 with removable spark arrestor. I think the bike will probably be as loud as a 426 now. Hopefully the power pick up will be worth the money, I will update once installed.

------------------

Feb 20, 2001
thanks bcoop! It looks to me like the yoshimura might be the way to go. I dont want any more top because off road we rarely see screaming rpm's in the woods. The yosh pipe puts out 102db's according to dirt rider with a healthy jump in low and midrange, which is where we ride anyway!

------------------

xchecker

Dec 8, 2000
Yo Zcookie49,

Jeff has been working on getting the max HP out of the pipe and he as done a great job with that. He had it on a dino a week or two ago and on the bottom where the stock one was making 8 hp his was making 12 (huge difference) and he had a 4 to 4 ½ hp gain on top. This thing hits a lot harder coming out of the corners like a 250 2-stroke and it revs much quicker. He uses an insert in the head pipe (It removable so you can put different sizes in) to get the bottom end punch. I’ve tried it with out the insert and there isn’t much bottom end.

I know he is working on several other variations of pipes, but I don’t know if he’s added spark arrester to the list.

He’s been building cool 4-stroks for a long time. Back in 88 he stuffed a TT600 motor in a ATK chassis for me. A bit heavy but one of the trickest bikes for the time. Until the YZ250F came out he was stuffing XR200 and DR200 motors into CR125 chassis. He’s quite the 4-stroke nut. Almost as bad as Pete at Powroll.

------------------

mechantloup

Feb 5, 2001
Get the least bang for the bucks ..........
Please get a reasonably quiet system.......
Remember it's a bike not a stereo...... :D

------------------
mechantloup
GRRRR!!!
KTM 520 EXC 01
Japanschrott?!Nein danke !!!

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Just an update... I went with the Pro Circuit T-4 exhaust on the 250F. It rocks!!.. installation was simple, couldnt believe how easy.. and man, the bike seems to rev forever now. I didnt go to the track or pits yet, but i could usually get to top 3rd or 4th at yard at home,,, now the bike justs keep revving in 2nd!!!! If you got hte extra money, I highly recommend slapping on the new pipe hardware, it is noticeable on the 250f....

------------------

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Was there any jetting mods you had to do for the Pro Circuit t-4? I havn't heard much about the t-4 so its nice to hear from someone who has one.

------------------

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I saw (heard) two 250Fs with T-4s at Washougal today. Both really loud. Glad I bought the Dubach, not that it is a stealth pipe either, but it is quieter than a T-4...........

------------------
osheen

BRC, AMA life member

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
concerning the loudness of the PC T-4. with a helmet off and warming the bike up, it is noticeably louder with a higher pitch. I rode 4 hours yesterday and didnt notice any difference in sound (obviously with my helmet on)....Let me tell you this. I was on a straight, My buddy has a 99YZ400F, we had dusted the bikes behind us (2 stroke 125's and a 2stroke 200) and he and I were neck and neck till the very top end of my bike. Of course he started to pull away gradually at the end, but maybe 5mph tops, i dont know, we started to run out of ground..For me, an aftermarket pipe really brings this bike alive..I wanted more mid and top end for I am comfortable with the low end of the bike as it is, plus the T-4 sells low and hig end caps for the muffler for about $25 a piece, a quiet core insert also for $25.. Now I did leave the spark arrestor in there as well...A friend asked me about the jetting as well. There was nothing in the Procircuit instructions with making modifications to the jetting and I didnt. I have noticed any problems with starting or idling, seems fine. This pipe mounts with east as well...... If money was no object, I would have gone with the Dr D pipe. But I basically saved $90 by getting this complete pipe thru ad for $369.99...(getting married and buying a new YZ250F + $800 worth of upgrades starts to push the buttons) .. Anyway, just my input.

------------------

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
No, I didn't, we (the Vet A & B riders) decided on one moto. I finished a lonely 3rd in the A class. I was #824.

Congrats to your son.......

------------------
osheen

BRC, AMA life member

Top Bottom