yz250f as opposed to cr250 or kawasaki 450f huge difference?

bradco_4

May 5, 2010
Hello there just hoping to find out if buying a yz250f will be a dissapointment for me getting back into riding. I used to ride an xr200 but it was too small for me this is going back about 6 years. Looking at the cr250's (1996's to 2004's) a ym250 (2006, which I am mostly looking at now) yz250's (2001 to 2003) and possibly 450f's but im scared to get into the high maintenance of the big four strokes. I'm just wondering though if the 250f would fit into or could keep up with a 2 stroke 250 cuz theyre around the same price range and there are some clean looking ones for sale in my area. I will now answer the sticky note questions.

1) 6 foot 1 196 pds
2) aggressive. strong enough to put a pounding a the bike
3) what do you plan to ride? mx tracks, and some trailing but more jumps and stuff.
4) Do you have any riding experience? 2 years on an xr200
5) Do you think you will race ? probably not but if I get better and get hungry then maybe
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? 2 stroke yes, 4 stroke, probably not
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? no.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? suzuki, ktm.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? under 3000. (this is in canada so its not as much as some of you may think!)
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 24
12) like to go out with one or two different ppl and try to do crazy stuff, wont be going for too many long trips.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Buying a sub 3k 4 stroke in Canada is a real mistake unless you are extremely confident you know the owner and the maintenance the bike has seen. 250F's are an even bigger concern than 450F's.

I'd be looking at 250 2 strokes and then being careful with the throttle hand until you get comfortable.

BTW, not sure what part of Canada you are in but this bike is mint and it's a steal with all the goodies. http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=177765

Top Bottom