zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Last nite, at the races, we met a guy who converted his WR400F into a dual sporter, with the help of baja designs... He had on knobbies and plastic tank and had it pass inspection... So we always like the idea but didnt think the "heaviness" of the store issued d/s bikes would be that great for lets say occasional track use..... I was thinking it would be cool to do, but then I thought that the 250F would probably be a limited on top speed on the road..... So, I guess I will keep my eyes out down the road and see if I can pick up a 98 WR400F within the year for probably $3-3500 and do the mod, that way you have more topend, and the ignition coil is on the bike (extra $450 for yz's).....
************ anyone ever thought about that with the 250F out there? Or anyone else out there with a Dual sport WR400f and have some input.... Great to hear something....
by the way.. the dude crossed a closed bridge on the way to the races!!! hahaha...

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
hehehe Yeah, I could certainly use some help with that. I haven't heard of anyone dualsporting a 250F yet, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad. I know I've heard of YZ400F's being dual sported.

Tree Crippler

Jun 8, 2000
I had a friend that converted a YZ400 in PA which made me think why not the WR400. My job was easier and cheaper. The e-line lighting coil for the YZ was $400 mine was free. He also needed a head and tail light, mine free. The conversion process in PA changed in July and I'm waiting to hear who passes first. The WR's are set up to be converted. they have a wire for the break switch. Anyone that has worked on bike a little will find Baja Designs instuction easy. They have one of the best customer services I have dealt with.
Street Legal in PA

Panoram Topeak set me up with the Speedo/Odo required in PA.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Did a wr400f and sold it. Doing an XR250 right now. A friend has done countless XRs, now a 400EXC.

No big deal. It depends alot on your state's laws. TX is easy.

The DRZ would be a better choice than the WR4 as a DS bike. Much friendlier motor, plus the button is available.

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
texkdx,
what would one have to do to street legalize a yz250f in austin, tx? I'll be getting this bike in several months, wanted to know. thanks.

-dejacky

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
You might be able to use the power that goes to the carb to glow your lights for an inspection. If this does not work, or your want a working/usable headlight, then an Eline stator would be the hot ticket.

For Texas you need a working hi/low headlight, rear running/brake light, license plate light, mirror, and horn. The Acerbis mirror works well as does a thing called the MegaHorn. You can get the Megahorn directly from them at Workman Trading Corp - 800-962-2453. It has its own power source and switch. You can pick and choose from head and tail light assemblies for the bike. Adding a speedo with some miles showing on it also makes the inspection go easier. It does not need to work to pass. Also make sure you have the under plate with the inspection tag holder on it. I like the aluminum ones and modify them to make them smaller. The tab is way too big. Measure how big it needs to be from another sticker, then bend it under/cut it off and round the edges with a file so it is not a ready-made knife on your rear fender.

Once you have your bike adorned with the required stuff, take it down to your local inspection station that does motorcycles. It helps if you know from others if they are conversion friendly. I had the local Harley dealer refuse to inspect my factory-legal KTM RXC because it was a "dirt bike", yet the local gas station on the corner has done a WR, XR, DR, and KDX for me no problem. MAKE SURE you get the "green sheet" from the inspector, not just the sticker. Take this to the tax collector office to apply for the new title and plate with the old title or C of O.

The bottom line for TX is you DO NOT need a complete kit with turn signals to make it legal for a plate and title. If you really want to street ride it, I'd take a look at the new kit from Kevin Hines at www.elineaccessories.com. I rode an '02 400EXC with his kit last weekend and it is sano and sweet. Kevin did a great job of consolidating all the electronics in a box behind the front headlight as well as developing a single control for all the accessories. The east coast is getting real picky on dirt bikes and plates, so Kevin responded with this kit. It uses the UFO head and taillights with the integrated turn signals.

dejacky

Oct 14, 2001
texkdx, thanks 4 the info & will do. I heard the yz250f's transmission would "burn out" if ridden on the road at peak speeds since it doesn't have some kind of "absorber" like road bikes? Is there any way to remedy this problem if it exists? cheers.

-dejacky

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
dejackey - most street and factory dual sport bikes have a rear hub with rubber cushions in it, which transmit less shock to the countershaft and transmission. This mainly protects the transmission during hard shifts or agressive starts on pavement. Dirt bikes don't use the cush rubber hubs as there is lots of slip between the tire and the ground.

Many people have converted dirt bikes for dual sport use, and I've never heard of anyone having a problem with the transmission due to this. Just ride smart, and don't abuse the bike on the road and you should be fine, IMO.

radish

Nov 2, 2001
yzf250 dual sport?

I friend of mine did a 01 wr250f with a baja designs kit.He got it on the road and passed inspection.That kit though needs stator modification,its a little tricky and time consumeing.I would check out www.elineaccessories.com,their kit is much easier to install(no stator mods needed) its much lighter and looks wey cooler.Costs $599.00 but well worth it.They also sell stator if you want to do a motorcross bike,although inspection may be tough to pass.As for top speed we put a after market speedo on the stock drive for the odometer and we got close to 90mph!.I rode passed a road side radar dislay that the police use at slower speeds and was quite accurate.It's very hard keeping your license riding a bike like this on the road,but man is it fun . Wheelies at will!!!!

Top Bottom