Yz250F for GNCC type harescrambles?

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I am tired of waiting on the WR250F to come in. My season is starting in 2 weeks and I have been researching the Yz250f and how it performs in the woods. It is starting to look like the better option. Compared to the WR250 what is some of your opinions on the YZ vs WR in GNCC type harescrambles?

danielst

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 20, 2002
A good riding buddy of mine has an 02 WR250F and he said that if he had to do it again, he'd get the YZ250F. He went through a lot of effort to get his to run as good as the YZ runs. My understanding is that the WR's are detuned and carry an extra 20 or so pounds. I ride a nearly stock YZ250 in GNCC's and Enduros and have never really saw the need for the "woods" versions of bikes. Most of the "woods" extras are just extra baggage. You may need to buy a light and spark arrestor to run Enduros, but if your only running Harescrambles, then you don't need it anyway. If I was in the market for one of the 250 four strokers, I would defiately choose the YZ250F over the others.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Thanks danielst, you think your buddy would feel the same if the 02 had the E-start? To me, that is what hangs me up.

sabooo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 2002
I can only speak for the wr450's as i've not had a hand on a 250 yet, but its important to note that while the e-start is EASIER, its not necessarily any faster than kicking. In an ideal start up it might be, but its not unusual for the bike to crank a bit before starting with the button. Just one more tidbit to consider.

Cheers,
sabooo

Top Bottom