DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm getting back into riding/racing after an extremely long layoff (I used to race MX back in the 70's and 80's)
I can't decide which bike to buy (My dealer has both and I have a deposit down) I always owned MX bikes, but now that I'm alot older I will be riding enduros, harescrambles and vet mx. I'm just wandering which one would be the most practical and cost effective to fit my needs.
I would like to have the WR with a close ratio tranny, and maybe the stiffer suspension. And if I get the YZ I will be putting a E-line lighting coil on.
Either one will get the IMS tank and seat combo.
All your replies will be greatly appreciated
Dr. Doom (Don't Ask)

------------------

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
I personally would go with whatever I could find. If you actually get to pick (which would be nice, none of our dealers have any in stock) I would go with the WR. I have a WR400, and picked it over the YZ. The WR has more flywheel weight, making it easier to plonk along, as well as the lighting coil and tranny. The WR400 has a bigger tank than the YZ, which I like, and the 250's are the same way (3.2 for the WR, 2.1 for the YZ). The YZ would have the advantage of being a little lighter, and a little stiffer, as well as being a bit thinner and easier to move around on.

------------------

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
I had a YZ400F and I spent a BUNCH of money trying to make it a WR. It's easier to "YZ" a WR - IMHO. IMS makes a "YZ" gas tank and seat for it. I've moto'd with guys on the WR's and at the beginner/novice level there's no difference.

If it was me...and I only get ONE bike...I'd get the WR :D

( ONE BIKE that'll be the day! LOL )

------------------
Chris
'00 CR250
'95 KDX200
'99 CR80
'99 Buell X1
'97 HD Sportster

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I think it would be easier to sometimes MX a WR then sometimes enduro/HS a YZ. I would get the WR, given your post.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I was exactly were you were two years ago. Even the same districts. (I spent time racing district 34 and 6 during the 70's and 80's) When my kids gave me the urge to return to this sport, I hunted around with Enduro bikes based on advice...but always craved the suspension and throttle response of a true race bike...even when I couldn't actually go fast any more.

I race Hare Scrambles and age class Vintage MX and age class Motocross now. I plan to try an Enduro..never played that game. Since I began to get feeling back I went out and had a bike built with the suspension I wanted.

If your Hare Scrambles and Enduro's don't require lights, get the YZF. If they do, get the WR and have the suspension redone to fit. I guess another issue is fuel tank size, it makes a difference in the Hare Scrambles out here. Those KTM's with the 3.4 gallon tank have an advantage.

After two years hunting for a "do it all" bike, I ended up with a bike that had a MX suspension and motor with lights and a larger tank from an Enduro bike. I pull off the lights ( A five minute deal..just two plugs and a couple of 10mm bolts) for everything except those events that require them. Then I have a light, fast, properly suspended play bike.

Bottom line is either one of those Yamaha's would work. Just depending on where you are and how the events are run one solution might be a little cheaper.

( Bikes are a better option than Dr. Kovorkian...!!! )

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron:eek:

Last edited:

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Thanks for the replies. Now that I'm going with the WR,
what would be the best mods along with gearing and jetting to make for harescrambles and Vet MX.
I'll most likely change the cam timing and use the stock suspension for awhile. What would be good susp. settings for stock susp. I am 5'11 and 165lbs. w/o gear
As always, your replies are greatly appreciated!

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
One thing I would suggest is to choose an exhaust by the sound output. All the aftermarket systems give a huge boost in performance, but some are much louder than others. The Doubach system or the Yoshimura system probably produce the best power for the type of riding you want to do, and neither of them are as ear-splittingly loud as the FMF or PC systems.

Making the engine produce YZ power is as simple as moving the exhaust cam one notch on the chain, but it will lose a lot of the WR torque in the process.

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Weimedog,
My feelings are the same as yours. I never owned a enduro bike. I'm still wondering if I should just convert the YZ into a sometime enduro/HS bike by adding a E-line lighting coil.
I plan on installing the IMS tank/seat combo on either one.
I'm not sure if I would like the wr trans over the CR trans.
How much of a difference is there on the 18" rear wheel, which would most likely be one of the most expensive changes.
I will most likely have the susp. revalved on either one in the future, so that is also a wash-cost wise
I will spend around $500.00 on lighting for the YZ and whatever the cost of the 18" rear wheel-if it really makes that much of a difference.
So I would spend around an extra $300.00 on the YZ less the rear wheel.
I know this post sounds a little sketchy, but I want to make sure I make the right decision before I buy. Thanks for all your help, and hopefully my posts will be a little clearer in the future!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by spanky250
Making the engine produce YZ power is as simple as moving the exhaust cam one notch on the chain, but it will lose a lot of the WR torque in the process.

There is no evidence to support that claim from either a theoretical or empirical standpoint.

cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
I don't buy the WR is better stuff. I have the YZ and was in the same boat as you (off for 15 - 20 years). I installed the Acerbis tank, which is better than the IMS, although this bike uses so little fuel that it probably wasn't necessary. The bike has good low end and I am not planning to go with the fly wheel/lighting coil. I just installed a headlight without wiring(they haven't checked lights in 8 enduros since I started riding again), but if they do, just hook up a 9 volt battery to pass a test. I was thinking about gearing down but after riding my first enduro with it(and winning the 4 stroke B), I'm not sure that I need to. The only thing that I still need is a spark arrestor but haven't made up my mind yet.(Will somebody make something quieter please!). By the way, my buddy(who is older than me at 43) won high point A on his YZ250F.

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Thanks for the reply CJKTM.
This has been a real dilemma for me the past week.
I think I will go with the YZ and add the things I need for offroad as I go along.
Is there a certain model,size Acerbis tank that you are referring to.
What about 19'' Rubber?
Again thanks for the Post!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by cjKTM
The only thing that I still need is a spark arrestor but haven't made up my mind yet.(Will somebody make something quieter please!). By the way, my buddy(who is older than me at 43) won high point A on his YZ250F.

If I'm not mistaken Lawman reported decreased sound levels AND an improvement in power with the Big Gun quiet system for the 250F. Hopefully he'll see the thread and add some details. A search on his name in the Reviews forum should net some valuable insights.

cjKTM

Nov 28, 1999
Acerbis makes the 3.2 gal. kit for Yamaha in their GYT accessory catalog for the 250F/426F. It fits either bike. I got mine thru Acerbis from a buddy who is a dealer. As for the 19" wheel, just ride it. My buddy has an 18, but only because the Tech tubes are easier to install. Most people would not be able to tell the difference.

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Agree 150% with Kalitude!!! (WR!!)

Kalitude is all over it...... :cool: IMHO
I would 'recommend' riding both if you can....in as many places as you can......think that will show you what so many of us are yaking about here.....

I have ridden both the YZ and I own the WR......no questions (not proping up my purchase decision either, I love the machine)
I can Moto with the WR with zero problems, just a click or two on the suspension. With the YZ, on some of the longer straights, it ran out of steam/top end ('bout 60 mph tops), and with the WR it will probably take you faster in the dirt than any of us should go. (85+) :eek:

My $.02..........but even with the flywheel weight and the WR transmission, I can pull alot of 250s off the line if they arent paying attention and any 125s with the WR
Plus as had been said in the thread and others, even if you try to turn the YZ even just a bit into a woods machine, the $$$$ you will put into it will scare you..........easier to take off than put on.......
enjoy the ride........and good luck!!
HR

LawManNv

Sponsoring Member
Feb 10, 2000
Like the other posts above I would recommend the WR if you are going to trail ride as well as moto. On my WR I installed a Vortip in the stock exhaust and changed the timing to YZ specs and the thing rocks. I entered my first motcross race last weekend and was second to first turn against a class of mostly 250 2-strokes. The WR is amazing on trails but can still moto with a few clicks on the suspension. Good Luck.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
[QUOTE ]I can pull alot of 250s off the line if they arent paying attention
[/B][/QUOTE]

Those are the races I want to be in!! :D

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Shaw, think of it this way.......

at my age.....you take what you can where you can........
Remember.....
In order to be Old and Wise :D
You must first be Young and Stupid.....

Soooo I figure they were in training! :confused:
I was just simply helping them train!!!

HR

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I think it has to do with back ground. Where you came from is going to effect what you like. The fact is even though I am old, there is a certain feeling I crave out of a motorcycle. I can ride any type of motorcycle trail riding and in the general off road stuff, even a high strung little 125 MX'r. But I can't ride anything and truely have fun in the MX environment and on the high speed or more aggressive type rides. So for me the things I look for is a nice tight chassis ( Stiff suspension, good handling, right now brakes), and instant throttle response with enough power to be fun. I may theortically sacrifice some comfort on the tight and rocky trails but I have a motorcycle that feels good and therefore fun to ride.

So I knew this when I got back into the sport. I also went through the experts advice...bought a couple of enduro/general off road spec machines. Figured since my last serious race machine was a 1990 Honda CR that technology was going to advance to the point that those Enduro/Cross Country spec machine would be better for ME than my old CR's..I was wrong. So after two years I ended up ditching what everyone thought was the best approach for this old fart and getting something that fit my riding style. A crisp responsive machine. I'm a lot happier now. Even trail riding is more fun. I don't miss the "plush" suspension, "mellow" mid range motors or any of that crap. Give me responsiveness over comfort and I actually end up less tired over a long days ride. I think its because the faster a machine reacts to input, the less I fight the machine. Of course this is just my experience...thats why there are SO many options out there.

Last edited:

dj

Jun 7, 2000
i myself would go with the wr. all i ride is the woods. my nieghbor has a yz400f and it seems like it needs to be out in the open. the wr is clearly better for the woods.

theMotoMan

Jan 12, 2001
I think weimedog is right, it's whatever you have rode before and what you are comfortable with. I have a MX background as well and just got back into riding about a year and a half ago. I didn't make the mistake of getting anything short of a full MX bike because I knew once I got back riding, I'd want to go fast.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Your choice really depends on where you plan to ride. In Michigan, the trails we ride are pretty open, sandy, and whooped out. For years, I rode enduro bikes and had to deal with stuffed up double wall pipes, excess weight, soft mushy suspension, etc. I took a chance and bought the YZ and I love it! It is the perfect bike for my needs.

The only things that I added, that I would not also add to the WR (tires, bars, handguards), were a spark arrestor ($129.00) and an o-ring chain ($60.00). That makes the cost for a ready to ride YZF roughly $5700.00.

I felt that I would have to change the seat/tank on the WR along with the exhaust (too loud with the cork removed). I estimated roughly $600.00 for these mods. That makes the cost for a ready to ride WRF roughly $6300.00.

I did not have to deal with throttle stops, timing changes, and the extra weight. The suspension works perfectly here in Michigan and I actually use first gear on the YZF where I would never use it on previous bikes.

Also, I just read in Dirt Bike that their YZ timed and piped WR is still not as quick as a YZ.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Re: Shaw, think of it this way.......

Hawaii, I wasnt pokin any fun at ya, I drew a humorous image of guys playing with their gloves and helmet straps as the flag goes down! (guess ya had to be there) :)

Last edited:

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
Thanks for all the replies.
But as you can see it seems to be split down the middle.
I told my dealer that I wanted the WR, then after reading Weimedog and CJKTM's posts, I changed my mind again and called the dealer back for the YZ, he informed me that it was gone and that was the last one.
So I'm going w/the WR next Friday.
I'm changing the timing, throttle stop, airbox lid. what I need to know is when I uncork the exhaust, Do I need another type end cap.
Concerning gear-what is the concensus on the new Sidi boots vs Tech 8's
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted about a 43yr. old kid getting back to riding again, If I can still type!

DR. DOOM

Jan 9, 2001
I forgot to mention that Motonation is offering me a 30% discount on the Sidi's which ends up around $200.00 The Tech 8's will cost about $260.
from my dealer.
All opinions appreciated!
Thanks again!

Top Bottom