jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
I'm 5'10" 195, 36 years old, semi-aggressive rider, ride 40% on mototracks and 60% trail. I'm back into riding for 6 months but rode from 6 years until about 25. I want a bike that has plenty of power potential yet is still very manageable. I bought a TTR250 to get back into riding with my kids, but I'm bored with it and it is a load to lug around the track. I'd rather have a 4stroke MX and have narrowed it down to these 2 bikes.

I realize the 250 will be more nimble and manageable in trails, but will it be enough motor for my size? I like the fact that there are many mods available for this bike too. I know it will be quite a bit more than the TTR, but will I be riding the same bike as the 14 year olds at the track? ha!

The 450 is very alluring, but I don't want a bike that will tire me out. That's what I'm worried about with this bike. Also, I don't know how nimble this bike will be in the woods.

As you might can see, i'm really leaning toward the 250, but want to make sure it's enough bike and I won't get bored with it too quickly. What if I gain weight up to 210 or so? Will the 250 still be enough? Thanks in advance.

B

biglou

I haven't ridden one, but the new YZ450 is supposed to be much improved for handling and weight and even it's slim "feel". Very "flickable", they say. I spent a year on an 04 YZ450 and it has all the power you could ever want.

A couple months ago, I rode Okie's 06 CR250F and Thumps 06 CR450F back to back, and I felt like I didn't have to work nearly as hard riding the 450. I'm goin' 6' and about 250lbs. these days (on a good day, lol).

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
Thanks BigLou, great to hear real-world reviews. What makes it feel like the 250 was more "work?" Throttle control? My brain is about to explode trying to decide. I'd like to get this bike before the weekend.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
If you're leaning towards the 250F, I'd go that way. It's got enough power to get the job done, but not so much that it'll rip your arms outta socket or tire you out like a 450 might.

My husband is 6'4" 230 lbs., and has been racing 426's/450's since 2001. But he loves jumping on my 250F's for a few laps too. We have a SX-style practice track, and he's able to do all the jumps just the same, actually, one right out of a turn even easier on the 250F. Plus he can throw the bike around and control it a little more with it being lighter, and he likes that, and really hauls through the whoops on the lighter bike.

But for racing against a bunch of big bores in the plus classes, he sticks with the 450, because he likes the extra power right there when you want it. Last year, we both raced +25 at a Loretta Lynn Regional on a sandy track, and with a gate of 30 guys, all on big bores except me on the 250F, and I did beat my 450 mounted hubby to the first turn in 2 of 3 motos (but I only weight 130, too). So the 250F isn't a complete dog.

We have a +40 racing buddy, maybe 5'9" 160-170 lbs., who just switched out his CRF250 for a 450, and we were all riding a wet sandy track this past weekend. His comment on the 450 was "man this thing is a handful, it's kickin my a$$, but it sure pulls me through this deep stuff no problem". So, yep, it's a handful, but has some extra motor no doubt.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
Thanks Nikki. Talking about your 250, what mods have you done to your bikes? It seems like there are a lot of modification options on these.

B

biglou

I forgot to mention: I rode the 250F/450F on a really deep, loamy track, so that had some effect on how I felt about them. I love the 250F's, but in reality they won't haul me down the straights like a 450 does.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
This bike will have to last me for awhile so I can remain married! I'm just extra cautious to make sure I don't get the itch for a bigger, better bike too quickly. I was told I could build this bike into a 300? and with better exhaust and such I imagine it would be a very hot bike if I did want more HP.

jkupers

Jun 14, 2006
I've decided on the 450. I want a bike that will last me and my abilities as they develop more so the 450 seems the way to go. Plus, the availability of them being so slim has to speak highly for the bike's abilities. Seems like every dealer I spoke to owned one personally and said it's the best bike they've ever owned (how much of that is salesmanship, who knows). But thanks to everyone for their insight. It's reallly tough getting into this sport and trying to learn product knowledge. It's nice to have sites like this to help out.

Top Bottom