YZ426 RT Gold Valve Fork Hi-spd Comp Set-up

vznx1w

Dec 7, 2000
I'm installing GVs in the fork of my '01 YZ426 (Sorry Jer, if I was sending my stuff out, I'd definately have you do the work. But, I like to do all my own work on the bike.)

Back to my setup question: I'm removing the mid-valve and installing the cylinder valve block-off plate per RT's instructions. My recommended valve stack (195 lb B-rider, MX) is CL7 and CH6. However, several guys on the Thumpertalk discussion group are saying that this is way too much Hi-Speed damping and are reporting excellent results with a CH2 setting.

I am reluctant to lighten the hi-speed by such a large amount, as what I'm really looking for is better bottoming control when I mistime the really big jumps (+70') and miss the landing ramp. I'm afraid that while the light hi-speed damping would feel plush over the chop, it will not give me the hard landing control I'm looking for.

Even though I'm tempted to following the advice of my fellow 426 riders, it doesn't seem right that Race Tech's recommendation should be this far off.

Input is appreciated.

Steve

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Race Techs reccomendation are just that-the whole idea is to give you a starting point.Try there settings(race tech) and if its no good try the thumper talk setting.

geargrabber

Jul 27, 2002
Thanks for the input Marcusgunby and SFO. I wish you would have voted the same so I'd have a concensus!! Last night I put in the Race Tech recommended set-up. I'll ride tomorrow, test the results and let you know.

BTW: SFO are you using Gold Valves in your bike?

Steve
aka vznx1w (I'm logging in from home today)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I have never used a gold valve set up and they make the port holes distance different from std so its hard to compare to another stack.

geargrabber

Jul 27, 2002
Just rode with the Gold Valves set to the Race Tech recommendations. The suspension is AWESOME on the big hits--the difference from stock is amazing. When I didn't bottom while slightly over-jumping a 70' table, I decided to back off 2 clicks of compression (from 10-12). This did allow some bottoming/harshness when jumping the same way, so it looks like the recommended setting are pretty close for my weight.

The action through the chop is also better than stock, not only a smoother ride but also eliminated the head shake that I occasionally get on fast stutter bumps. I'm very pleased so far and will further experiment with the clickers to see if further improvement is possible.

Steve

Top Bottom