YZ426 throttle cable adjustment

wychanko

Feb 22, 2002
Can anybody shed some light on the correct way to adjust the push/pull throttle cable system on a YZ426. My throttle action is fine but I have had to replace the cables in less than a season because the push (most forwardly located) cable freys where it exits the cable casing down by the carburator. This also happened on a YZ400 I once owned. I am thinking that this is an indication that the tension is not adjusted properly on the cable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have tried numerous adjustments, but seem to have the same problem. Thanks.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
That is a common problem with the YZFs that I don't think is related to cable adjustment. The cable doesn't line up perfectly with the throttle wheels on the carb. www.ziptyracing.com and I think www.yoshimura-rd.com sells replacement throttle wheels that are supposed to solve the problem. I haven't bought one so I can't say, but you may want to check them out.

skthom2320

Oct 11, 2001
Mine was the same way when I went to adjust it the first time. It was rubbing against the pulley. When I adjusted it, I positioned the inside nut (closest to pulley) such that one of the corners was in the opening - not the flat spot. This slightly changes the angle that the cable enters. That's all I needed to do and now it doesn't rub.

Lope426

Apr 5, 2002
Contact Yamaha Tech Support. Yamaha issued a SAFETY RECALL NOTICE on this problem. (throttle pulley may cause a stuck cable problem) The problem seems to be with the "throttle pulley". The Dealer should replace it for free. Call toll-free 1-800-227-5963. You will need the serial number of the bike.

Top Bottom