Jun 14, 2007
I read all this about the starting drill and i cant find it. I have searched it and all that good stuff.

If someone can tell me what it is or give me a link to were it is stated it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
O BOY. My bike does not like the choke until it fires up so heres what I do.
1. Push the kick starter until it hits the hard spot AKA TOP DEAD CENTER.
2. Pull decompression lever and nudge the kick starter a couple inches downward.
3. Return kick starter all the way up and let go of decomp lever.
4. lighty press on the kick starter until you hit the hard spot.
5. Give a forceful kick and pray to god it works.
6. Once the bike starts I immediately pull the cold choke knob which is black.
7. After one minute I push the knob back in
8. Two minutes later I shift into gear and take off.
9. Have fun.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Step one: With the transmission in neutral, turn the gas on and pull the choke out.

Step two: Kick the engine through slowly until you come to the hard spot (where the kickstarter will not move). This is called "bringing it up on compression."

Step three: Once you have brought it up on compression, follow these three steps: (1) Pull the compression release in. (2) Move the kickstarter about one inch past compression. Do not move the kickstarter so far that the piston goes through compression and moves too far down into its intake stroke. A little dab will do ya. (3) Once you have nudged the piston over top dead center, allow the kickstarter to return to the top of its arc.

Step four: Release the compression release.

Step five: Kick with a steady but full stroke (from the top of the kickstarter's arc all the way until the kickstarter hits the footpeg). If you did everything as prescribed, the YZ-F will start. However, if you touched the throttle, it will not.

Throttle tip: instead of holding onto the throttle with your right hand, hold onto the brake master cylinder.

Hot starting tip: Pull the hot start button out and follow steps one through five. Push the hot start button in as soon as the engine starts.

Cold start tip: Before you start the YZ-F for the first time, give the throttle two little blips. This will put a small dose of fuel into the top-end. No more than two blips. Never blip the throttle before starting a hot or warm engine.
Credit Ol 89r

voodoodadi

Aug 15, 2007
hard starting fix yz 426

install a 450 mod kit and your life will be golden.also do
not move the throttle while starting.kehin's with accellerator pumps are sensitive.i used to have the same problem.the
mod kit is your salvation.

dfalcon217

Oct 1, 2007
voodoodadi said:
install a 450 mod kit and your life will be golden.also do
not move the throttle while starting.kehin's with accellerator pumps are sensitive.i used to have the same problem.the
mod kit is your salvation.

Hey, what is this "450 Mod" you speak of?

Thanks

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
76GMC1500 said:
Use an exhaust cam from a 450 as they have an automatic decompression release built in.
Then add the Dr. D Hot Start lever. Best $100 you'll spend on your 426.

Top Bottom