J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Is there anything I can do to improve my suspesion?
I rode my buddies YZ250 and it seems to jump easier.:think When I hit a few set of doubles it seemed to jump and fly off of them. I was actually over jumping a huge double that I have to loft(use effort to clear) on my bike. My bike seemed to absorb the impact where his didn't.

I have my sag setup and even turned up the dampening on thr front and rear end.

Should I get it reworked ??? Of is there adjustments I can set to get the same or simular action??
thanks

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
First off, you should give your weight, height, type of riding, terrain and rider level. This will help to assess your situation. Remember to, that that 250 is quite a bit lighter than your 426 and the power delivery often makes jumping a little easier (not that the 426 doesn't jump...whew!).

When you "turned up the damping", are you talking compression, or rebound, or both? Slow rebound will make a slight difference, but is much more confidence inspiring than faster settings (at least for us spodes ;) )

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
oH YA HUH...:confused:
I'm about 195, 6'
I ride a SX stlye/ Outdoor tracks.. Lake Elsinore for I.E.
I'm about a int rider...but need better conditioning to compete..:D
The doubles are good size and a few others are Big too.
I turned up the dampening and left the rebound. ..
thanks

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Sorry Bones, haven't had much time lately. I am not sure (others here could be more precise), but you may want to try stiffer springs for your weight. This will not likely help you in take off from jumps, but more in landings and elsewhere.

If lift (for jumps) is you major concern, you may want to try faster rebound, but usually lift is more related to rider technique than suspension in my experience. Be careful when playing with rebound, go a little at a time. Too much can be painful.

I figured others would have joined in by now with specific experience with 426s. Sorry I cannot be of more help, but I do think it is something that you will have to deal with or live with.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Apart from speeding up your rebound(try 2 clicks) i cant think of much but i do think a 426 will soak up a jump face more than a lighter 250.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
thanks.
I'm going to try a little more rebound.
The 426 did soak up more than the 250, there has to be something to do like a revalve?, or differnet oil?

I used the same technique when riding both bikes. The 250 seemed to fly farther and higher, but it's probably the weight difference in bikes?

thanks;)

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Also, if you let off the throttle even a little bit on the thumper on the jump face(very common that people do this unintentionally), its engine braking will slow you down and make you fly lower. The effect of doing the same on a 2-stroke is much less pronounced.

Last edited:

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
are both bikes stock?

If I understand your question, you rode your buddies YZ250 and it was much smoother and flew better.

Has he had his suspension worked on? If so ask him where and what was done.

If they are both stock it could be the difference between 2/4 stroke.

My YZ400 works really well, but was too harsh for me until I had the forks reworked.

Mike

Top Bottom