YZ444 Questions

Buzz64

Jun 2, 2003
Hi,
I am new to dirtrider (this is my first post).

Can anyone help me out with answers on the following

1) What sort of HP/ torque increase will be seen when increasing a stock 01 YZ426's piston/bore from 95mm to 97mm. Will it be across the board or say, better only at high revs.
2) What is the better selection in terms of piston compressions 13.5 or 12.5. Or put it another way, what are the characteristic differences of the power delivery of the two pistons. Assuming operation at around sea level.
3) In Australia we are limited to running unleaded petrol which has a maximum octane rating of RON 98. Will there be issues with running a non race gas with the increased diameter bore.
4) Obviously you need to run a 97mm head gasket, but this also mean that you have to modify the profile of the head as well.
5) I have seen some unexplained inferences on TT that there are some problems/limitations in the intake valve size when going to 97mm bore, is there any issue here.
6) Does anyone have a good jetting baseline to start from after increasing the bore.

Thanks

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
thats not a bad answer for your first question!

Bill: you should write that up into a thesis and take it to your local University library!:)

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by bclapham
thats not a bad answer for your first question!

Bill: you should write that up into a thesis and take it to your local University library!:)

It is all Riches doing.
He helped me each step of the way from doing the initial research on the yz-f build up to writing up the results.
I was just the willing hands to screw the thing together.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bill is giving me WAY MORE credit than I deserve in all this.

We talked regularly while he was building the engine and bounced ideas off of each other on the best way to meet his needs. It was the product of two heads focusing on one design goal. All in all it came out pretty good and the investment was fairly minimal, but there is more there for the taking ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago

#4 - The larger bore increases the effective quench area of the cylinder head. For most applications this doen't need to be changed, but it would really depend on what you are trying to accomplish. The larger quench area makes the engine VERY tolerant of pump fuel, even when the 13.5 CR piston is used, so in your situation it would tend to be a positive thing.

#5 - If you are looking for power above 8000 rpm then a longer duration cam and a 1mm OS would certainly help. As the dyno charts show power peaks at around 8000 with the stock cam and stock valves with the 97mm setup, but the torque curve is really flat and VERY useable. Valve area is very much an rpm driven parameter.

Buzz64

Jun 2, 2003

Rich, can you please expand on "but there is more there for the taking."

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by Buzz64

Rich, can you please expand on "but there is more there for the taking."

I'll give it a try.
Riding a 53rwhp trail bike is a hand full.
I spent a lot of time in the trees when the thing would light up and catapult me into the brush. :scream:

I think more is there but it becomes somewhat esoteric. :think:
The immediateness of the power delivery is very exciting and tiring.
It is one thing to fire road it or run it through Baja, and yet another to just putt through the woods.
I think it really comes down to what YOU want.
Be carefull of what you ask for, Rich WILL deliver. :laugh:

Last edited:

Yz426King

Aug 18, 2001
Rich, are you saying that if someone would run a 97mm 13.5:1CR piston using the stock head area, that running a premium gas (93oct) would be an acceptable thing to do. The stock ignition would be used as well.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
...but there is more there for the taking ;)

I don't know that I want any more. I have yet to hit the rev limiter...and I realise that is a rider thing, but it just seems that the power delivery is smoothe when you want and will punch hard as well. Seems very responsive even in a gear high. And all on pump swill! :)
( gotta give a shout out to James Dean as well! )

My woods trial of the bike was...well lets say I need to let another man critique the bike in the forest. But on the track, this thing is everything I thought I would want from a thumper. However, I have no seat time on KTM's. Just a 426 and XR's.

Bill, you and Mr Rohrich both rock. :thumb:

BTW....very nice first post, and welcome, Buzz!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Yz426King
Rich, are you saying that if someone would run a 97mm 13.5:1CR piston using the stock head area, that running a premium gas (93oct) would be an acceptable thing to do. The stock ignition would be used as well.

SFO has his YZF444 setup at about 13.8:1 compression and did a ton of dyno runs at WOT using pump gas and the stock ignition with no issues. Keep in mind the lobe center angle of the intake cam will effect this. If you advance the cam timing and close the intake valve earlier you will build more cylinder pressure and raise the octane requirement of the engine. SFO had the LCA on his intake cam set close to 105 degrees, and this is a pretty good starting point.

That said it's worth noting that these engines run much better with proper fuel. It seems silly to me to go to all the trouble and expense of building a serious engine only to turn around and dump fuel in it that is totally unsuited to the rpm range and general performance characteristics of a high speed four-stroke engine.

I personally would NEVER recommend anyone run pump fuel with this type engine setup if only to ensure some margin of error in tuning. I realize that won't stop people from doing it anyway though . ;)

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Rich, you are soooo high test.
Build it and break it.
Thats my .02!
Pump gas ain't all that, I pour worse into my generator!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by SFO
Build it and break it.
Thats my .02!

I'm no different Bill. I came to loathe crummy fuel and the havoc it can wreak after scattering more than my share of parts . Besides, we both know once you see how much difference the right fuel makes there is no going back. ;)

Yz426King

Aug 18, 2001
Damn thing wont let me add to my post, oh well.
Will the stock LC build more cyl. pressure than the LC that he is running?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Pump fuel probably won't hurt the engine just the performance.

Stock LCA for the 2000 426 is 109 which makes for a trapped compression ratio about 0.4 point LESS than the 105 LCA SFO was running and about 20psi less final pressure. So running the stock LCA should be plenty safe with the higher compression if it's jetted correctly.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Obviously there is more to building an engine than larger displacement. This engine is more powerful than the YZ 450 despite being slightly smaller.

How much of the extra power is due to the larger piston?

I would have loved to see you guys go through a stock displacement engine. Could you have made this much power with the stock bore?

Yz426King

Aug 18, 2001
I'm sure that you could get more power out of a 250f. The big question is, who will be man enough(or stupid enough) to be able to ride it. It would be like driving a funny car on a street course. What everyone wants is that huge flat torque curve that is easy to ride fast.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Welcome to DRN! I'll try to answer your questions in an abbreviated fashion because one could ellaborate on each question but that would require me not typing, mostly talking and a fresh supply of Foster's Bitter to lubricate my wit.

1) A high compression big bore raises the torque at a lower peak and that sort of answers question 5. From a riding standpoint its a blast, literally! But the top end goes flat sooner.

2) Go for the 13.5 to one, you're already going through the trouble and expense of doing a big bore, might as well go the full monty.

3) The composition of the fuel is "the 800 pound gorilla" or in your case "the 70 stone qualabear". With a short stroke and a giant bore you need a fuel that burns quick, Rich feel free to beat me over the head with your fuel can anytime here! But generally speaking if you don't change the cam timing you should be able to use a good grade of super unleaded premium petrol.

4) There is no need to modify the cylinder head to accomodate the bigger piston and head gasket because WISECO has already compensated with the crown profile. But there are gains to be had by changing the exit angle or "shrouding" in the combustion chamber to take advantage of the bigger bore.

5) 5-valve heads are inherently limited in peak flow based on valve area and scavenging patterns. The YZF head design is allegedly designed to produce a swirl scavenging pattern at low rpm and a tumble pattern at high rpm. Modern 4-valve heads are tumblers. Rich has fiddled around with larger center valves only and companies like Kibblewhite make oversize valve kits designed for big bores. Another limiting factor is the head pipe diameter, and companies like White Bros and Thumper make oversize header pipes for big bores.

6) Jetting baselines? Thats funny. Once I saw supermodel Elle MacPherson interviewed on an American talk show. The interviewer asked about her newest boyfriend and what pick-up line he used to win her affection. She said "hey bird, you fancy a shaggin?". Right after that I tried the American slang equivalent at the bars but all I got was a black eye! The moral of the story is there isn't a baseline for anything in life, everything is special!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…