pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I have a '90 YZ80. I havent ran it a week or two, and im having problems starting it. It won't kick over and when i try to pop start it, it jsut makes this low, bogging sound. It had done this before, when the plug was wet, but i took out the plug and heated it up with a small blowtorch with no results. The previous time i rode it, it got low on gas and when i went over uneven terrian it bogged down and quit, thats when i seen the gas level was low, so i put it up, and now it wont start. Has this happened to anone else? Maybe the plug is fouled, or there may be dirt trapped in the gas line? When i went to check the plug it was blackish in color, but it was before when i burnt the excess oil off it. I run my premix at 32:1. Should i run a leaner mixure?

Martin Cole

Oct 12, 2003
If the engine won't kick over it sounds like the fuel tap was left on or does not seal properly. This could also mean the float needle jet is not seated correctly and allows fuel to overfill the carburettor - hence it tries to run too much petrol into the engine and fills up the crankcases. You are creating a hydraulic lock. The best way to clear it is to take out the spark plug and kick the engine over vigorously for a while. Try again with a clean, dry plug. Check the spark first and see if it has a nice, fat, blue appearance.
If it is bogging down while you are riding it is probably a sign that the float needle jet is the primary cause of the problem. Take the carb to pieces and clean it out thoroughly. Soak the parts in Carb Cleaner for a few hours and blow it out with an airline before re-assembling. Check the float is not punctured. If it is it will fill with petrol and won't close the float needle valve when the chamber reaches the optimum level.
32:1 mix should be fine. - hope this helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom