YZF Cam Timing How-To?

B

biglou

Is there an easier way to adjust the cam timing (where the chain rides on the cam wheels) than to pop both cam caps and angle the cams, then install and hope they line up correctly timed?  I cannot for the life of me seem to be able to move the chain on either cam wheel with them in place.  Right now the Hurricane is "WR timed", and that ain't good!  Took me a few tries just to get this close.  I figure I am missing something obvious since I watched Zoomer do his entire top-end under an EZ-Up about three times at DW and it only took hom about 30 minutes each time.  BTW-The tensioner is removed. 

Anyone?  Thanks.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Lou.

Don't know of another way other than removing the cams, but a little trick when re-installing the cams is to place the cam into the cap first. Be sure the circlip is in place and then while holding the cam and cap together with your fingers, angle the cam and cap assembly together to slip the chain on and then set the assembly down in the head. The locating dowels will insure the cam is in the right place.

If you put the cam into the head first and then try to install the cap, it is very hard to keep the circlip in place. Also, be sure to torque the cap to the proper torque. This is VERY important.

Just my $ .02

Terry

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Lou,

I only needed to remove the exhaust cam cap on the WR250. I left the inlet cam in place undisturbed.

Like Ol'89r says, the cam cap retorquing sequence is very important. I checked for free rotation of the cams (using the chain slack before reinstalling the tensioner) as a secondary check for binding once the cap was fitted and torqued.

TobyS

May 1, 2000
You can do it without taking both towers off, just play around with it until you get it. One thing I did to avoid "hit and miss" is use a felt tip pen to mark the gear and chain before you disengage the chain. Mark them where you want the chain to end up, then move the chain to the correct location.
-Toby

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i don't think you can get enought chain slack without removing the exhaust cam. it isn't that hard, but be super careful you don't drop the circlip that sits inside the front cap into the engine. stuff a rag down the cavity when removing the caps, and always use a torque wrench to re-install.

Top Bottom