cw242

May 17, 2000
after a disagreement with 3 trees on the line i was going to take while practicing this weekend (the trees won) i found its a good idea to run a plain# plate unless the light and odo are needed. (destroyed headlight, odometer, number plate, and new set of protapers = about $400....ouch) my question is will a yz plate fit ok and i assume the odometer will have to be taken off , any ideas on plugging the hole on the front wheel while the odo is not in use?? i cant afford to go through this again just for practice!!!! thanks.....cw :( :eek: :think

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
Hi cw
I put a yz # plate on my TTR with a very little modification. I also removed my odometer. I put a screw in its place with a little foil tape over it for good measure.:)
Strach

Last edited:

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
I believe the WR uses a diiferent triple clamp than the YZ and it doens't have the threaded boss in the right place to attach the plate. Scotts or somebody makes an adapter so you can cleanly mount this, though I'm sure you could come up with a way yourself.
For the odo spacer you should be able to get the YZ spacer to replace it down on the wheel, or just put a dab of silicone in the hole where the cable comes out.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
cw242. You can use an Acerbis YZ front number plate. You will have to make a small, L shaped bracket to attach the top of the plate to the tripleclamp and drill a small hole on the right side of the plate,(facing the plate), to mount your front brake line bracket.

I did this to my WR and it worked great.

z4me

May 4, 2000
I just finished with the mod myself.

First of all I got the collar (spacer) and oil seal from the YZ front wheel right side in order to remove the ODO drive. BTW: these parts are common to all of the big YZs for 2000 & 2001.

Next, as Ol'89r said, the Acerbis YZ plastic works well. To mount it I went a different route. I drilled an extra hole in the tab that mounts it to the YZ triple clamps - then used a plastic cable tie through that hole to the mount for the no longer used ODO. The little tabs on the bottom have to be whittled down to fit into the bottom clamps as well - really not that hard at all.

- Sean

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
conversions

Is it me or do most WR250F owners convert theirs bikes more to the YZ than vise versa. Obviously this # plate ? is different, but most posts are always with the YZ flywheel, somtimes gearing, gas tank seats, different mods on wheels and so forth. I have the YZF and use it for track, trails-woods, and sand and it is absolutely great, and cheaper at list and after mods it seems. oh well, just seeing if anyone else has noticed this.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
zcookie49 - yes, your bike is better than ours - go ride it.

Z4me, dude, I was just making a statement! just read another post about converting WR to YZ timing..... And as a matter of fact, I am sitting here in my office and the bike is parked outside and am hitting the track today after work... so thanks for letting me know to "go ride it"... I wasnt trying to say my bike is better than anyones. just making an observation.

z4me

May 4, 2000
...I have the YZF and...

... it is absolutely great, and cheaper at list and after mods it seems...

...I wasnt trying to say my bike is better than anyones...

No? ...sounds like it to me!

If I listed the reasons I bought the WR instead of the YZ you would reply: "Who needs that?" Then someone would jump in I do you #$%^& - then moderators close it... etc.

- Sean

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
If I listed the reasons I bought the WR instead of the YZ you would reply: "Who needs

No. I have to disagree with you on the above statement. Because a rider should buy or do what they want to a bike to what suits their riding style or enviroment...... Once again, my bike at presenet condition suits me. Do you feel insecure or threatened by my origninal "post" that you have to bash me and impose that I am inferior to you since you have assumed that I cannot grasp "your reasonings" for buying the WR.... For your info, I too would have bought the WR as well, if it would have came out 12-00 when the YZF did. Either way, both bikes are awesome and Im sure I wouldnt have been disappointed and I bet your bike is pretty cool as well. Well, enought of that, I appologize that you may have taken the post negatively, it wasnt meant to be like that. Later.

z4me

May 4, 2000
Going back to your original post - the question is: "Has anyone ever noticed [everyone converts their WRs to YZs?]" - I will then retract all of my last posts and say all I notice is that every dirt bike owner modifes their bikes to suit themselves best. WR guys make some changes that came from the YZ (cam timing, throttle stop) and YZ guys modify their bikes to be more like WRs (flywheels, stators). I have not seen a trend as you suggest.

- Sean

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The reason I picked a WR over a YZ is the gearing on the WR. Same basic engine, different gearing and timing. WR gearing is more suitable for trail riding, GP's and desert type riding. Install the YZ tank and seat and you get the same forward riding position as the YZ with the gearing of the WR, low first gear and 90mph+ fifth gear.

I guess it depends on what you are going to use the bike for. The WR in YZ trim works for me. Best of both worlds.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
no doubt... I knew the WR gearing was wider, and I also heard that the bike could top off at about 10-15 mph faster than the YZ on top end, but weighing 15 lbs more....when you changed your tank, did you reduce any weight? that would be good if it did...But you are right, your bike is prob pretty nice, that is great top end too...

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
To trim the pins at the bottom of the number plate. Take a drill and turn the chuck down to the size you want the pin to be. Then turn the drill on and push it over the pin. It will trim the pin like it was turned on a lathe.

vetwfo'er

Top Bottom