J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
This has probably been posted before but I just wanted to remind all you kids to check your throttle cables where they connect to the carb. I had bought some replacements a while back and last night just got around to changing them. Luckily I did since one of them was at least half broken. This is a common problem where the cables connect to the throttle wheel on the carb. It doesn't take long to swap them out.

Just a reminder to keep your eye on them.

B

biglou

This is a common problem with the DRZ as well. The return cable frays right at the end where the "bullet" attaches to the throttle wheel. I have read that the Yoshimura replacement throttle wheel cures this, but did not try it myself. After riding my DRZ an average of once a week for one year, I only had one or two strands that were broken. Good idea to keep an eye on them.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Hanging by a Thread

I was looking at the carb on my '00 426 recently and noticed (by a fluke) that the top throttle cable had worn through near the throttle wheel where it rubs against the metal cable inlet. There were only two strands left. :eek:
The bottom cable was still in good shape, with only a strand or two broken, but the cables are sold as a set.

Another ride or two, and it would have snapped (probably while I was in the most inconvenient location).

Last edited:

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Ty Davis Fix?

Doesn't Ty Davis have a fix for this problem?

I've gone through several thottle cables, so one of these times, I might actually fix the problem.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
You guys are right, ziptyracing.com has the throttle wheels for $45.60. I haven't tried it either though. If anyone has, let us know.

dmeyer

Jul 1, 2001
I just got the wheel and installed it. My return cable had only two strands left! The wheel is pretty trick, billit aluminum I think. The groove that the wire goes in to is wider and the edges are rolled over so that it won't cut into the wire. The wheel comes with a punch to get the dowel out on the side of the wheel and two machined parts to hold the rod while you are using the punch. Everything worked great but I was surprized by the lack of instructions, but once I started taking it apart it became clear how it all went together. I figure since the cable was around $40 and the wheel was $45 if this cable stays good for more than a year it will be worth it. It looks trick too.:)

Top Bottom