craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Wowsers! What a ride! Weather today was perfect, but the previous rain made the traction terrible, at best. I couldn't believe how slick the grass was, on some of the pastures, it was like ice.
The auto-clutch was a miracle worker, in those conditions. I would not have made 10 miles on the manual clutched 200...
I started the 2nd loop to try to make up for my slow time on the first loop, hoping I could make a couple of checks to move me up a spot or two in the results.... didn't work. There were alot of C-seniors that finished the race, the best time I saw was 14 points?!?!?! That's less than I dropped at each check! :moon:
I hit check 10 running 52 minutes late, and figured that I'd hour out in the next section, so I packed it in. Those 10 miles of asphalt road were like heaven during the ride back to camp.
Well, I'm glad everyone got some riding in, with noone getting banged up.... :yeehaw:
Good luck Brian, on the procedure, and good luck Scott, on the final check ride.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/18234834/123823610yVjLhc
And my award is to Justin for making the trip to get us all signed up together! Your time spent for us is appreciated! :laugh:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I have ridden a lot of mud races. I think this might be the worse. It started a couple hundred yards off the starting line and just got worse.

It still would've been fun if my bike would've not felt like it was pulling an anchor.

I have thought about my brake issue. I figure that when they faded at Texas(last time I rode) I should've changed the fluid. By not changing the fluid, the brakes got hot this time ,air expanded, locked up brakes. :clue:

Craig-In the Picture you posted, who is the fat guy on my bike?

Last edited:

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
OKKX'er said:
Did one there already, was enough to last a looong time.

Glad all of you made it out of there in one piece. I wore down a brand new set of brake pads in my one attempt (also in the mud).
Congrats for the valiant attempt. I wound up riding the OCCRA track at Mooreland, wet sand, Woo Hoo!

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
OKKX'er said:
I wound up riding the OCCRA track at Mooreland, wet sand, Woo Hoo!
YOU RODE somewhere else!! What are you anti-social?? I made the comment that if Don and Derek were there it'd been just about a perfect day.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Wet sand would have been a godsend today. I looked at my brake disk and pads after I got home. The brake pads weren't too bad but I didn't know that my YZ had solid brake rotors. I had to poke the little hockey pucks out!
As for the procedure(not like XRP's), should be routine type. I'll get online when the meds ware off, so that I won't be PUI.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
For the next get-together, we need to set up an official 'photo-op'.
We missed Lorin, Enduro-nut and any other DRNers that made the race....

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
The race was great - how do you say S L I C K C L A Y with rock thrown in for a little traction? It was the only race that I dnf'd and didn't bother me! I made it to the gas stop and said that's enough - I came and failed to conquer.

Way to go Craig - you managed to do better than anyone else!! :worship: :thumb:

When I turned in my score card the lady mentioned only 10% finished the race.

Lorin, JMD and I have photo's - where should we put them?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Yes, my silencer did fall off. But, I did go back and pick it up, go back to camp, re-install it and make it back in time for the second lap. You are right about the cleaning time. I spent 3 bucks at the car wash to get the mud off, but now I need to go back and pick all of the stuck grass out of the bike. I'm proud of the 25 + miles that I managed to get in. My hat is off to Craig for riding as much of that as he did. That ride is truly an assault on the senses. I was pretty much numb on Sunday after the race. On a good note, one of the check captains told me that they are looking at having a ten-year ISDE anniversary trail ride in October for BJEC members. I hope to go back and ride that at a more leisurely pace.

tdjok

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2003
Pictures would be great if anyone has any. Words cannot properly express the magnitude of the muck we rode through. Please do not post any pictures of me sobbing on the rock hill.

I ditto Craig's thanks to Justin for getting us entered. :thumb: Likely would not have made it if he had not been so gracious with his time.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Scores are up, through 5 checks....
Terry-49
Scott-50
Roger-62
Craig-63
The young pups were showing us up!!!

tdjok

~SPONSOR~
Feb 16, 2003
Scott and I just really enjoyed the mud and rocks. We discussed how much enjoyment we were having each time we stopped to muster up more energy. :joke:

Craig is the true hero. He took it like a man and went back for more. :yeehaw:

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
justql said:
YOU RODE somewhere else!! What are you anti-social?? I made the comment that if Don and Derek were there it'd been just about a perfect day.

I was trying to explain, I paid my Zink dues already. Actually, only half the trail was sand, the other half was this black, damp, sticky dirt. It was a last minute deal, can't recommend this place dry.

As to the anti-social behavior, why is your pumpkin so shy? It's only a rumour to me at this point.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
..."It's only a rumour to me at this point.".....
Well, what IS the rumour?
I find that reality is NEVER as exciting as the rumour!

"Lorin, JMD and I have photo's - where should we put them?"
How about the BJEC picture page?

Last edited:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I am glad to hear that everyone survived. I figured that it would be a true test of man and machine but when the rain came I started imagining bikes in creeks with only the handlebars showing. In this case it wouldn't be Guy Coopers displays but the real thing. All I can figure is the aura of the ISDE is what made the rest of you go to Zink and do that to yourselves. Get those bikes cleaned up and repaired, I am ready for a ride!

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I'm telling you I'dve finished if my mechanic skills were better. I should've removed the rear caliper or opened the bleeder screw. I love those kinda races. While some scores posted were hard to believe because they were so low this race was a real challenge for the later rows escpecially. This is why we ride enduros to be tested. If you can leave that race after finishing then you know your a true enduro rider. I'm dissapointed I didn't finish but it was truely a ball. Yes i'd go back in the same conditions tommorrow. :thumb:

Top Bottom