Zoomer or anyone else that knows air compressors

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I have a Black Max 5hp air compressor. It came with the house I bought and is completely piped in.

I have a small leak. I can barely hear it. It is coming from the vavle right beside the off/auto switch. I have tried adjusting the valve and it reduced the leak to a very, very low sounding hiss (it used to sound really bad and would deplete 150psi of air pressure in less than 15 minutes).

Is this normal or do I have something wrong? If there is something wrong what should I look for?

Thanks
Ivan

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would take all of the fittings off and put them back on with teflon tape. That has solved air leaks for me before.

(Well...not *all* of my air leaks! :scream: )

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Must be air compressor breakage week. Ours in the shop makes a funny sound and never fills the storage tank, might be the rings.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A 1cfm @ 100 psi leak could cost you around $500 a year if you keep feeding it.
Once you find the problem, then you will probably find that the root was contamination in the system. It is very important to rid the system of the water it captures. If the tank and lines have water, oxidation is sure to follow and foul up things.
The optimum situation would be to have a drain set-up at your tank that would automatically discharge much of the water.
You could also be sure you open the petcock at the bottom of the tank and release water whenever you charge the tank.
It's probably best, if you don't do an automatic drain, to empty your tank of air when you are done using it.

There is ten times as much water in a cubic foot of compressed air as in the atmosphere. 80% humidity at SL is Noahs flood in your compressor.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Is the leaky valve the one with the lift lever on it? This would be the pressure releif valve, intended to prevent overpressure of the system.

If it's leaking, replace it, don't fiddle with it, or try to McGyver a solution. That fancy little valve is what seperates an air compressor from a bomb.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I believe that is the one.

Ok, now I have to figure out how to replace it. Is there any good sites out there that has some more info? I have the manual but have not found anything but part numbers to help me so far.

Thanks
Ivan

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It wouldn't hurt to try and clean it with kerosene. It probably just has a piece of rust holding it open slightly.
You may be able to dislodge it by working the poppit a few times.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Sorry Ivan, can't be of much help to you on this, like Jaybird said, probably some junk under the valve holding it open, Could try back blowing the vavle (if you had an air compressor :laugh: ) use a portable tank?

Gomer can fix it, he can fix anything ....ooppps did I say anything? cr..... :eek:

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Drain the compressor tank to ZERO, then unscrew the pressure relief valve. Take it to whomever sells the compressor, and purchase a new one.
You could try turning the little lever back and forth a couple times....kinda lapping it into it's seat. All it is is a needle valve with a spring that holds it seated until an over pressure condition exists. Just make sure you don't block the discharge of the valve, or pound it into the seat to get rid of the leak.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000

Uhhh, I think we are all smart enough to flip the switch when done so it doesn't run every fifteen minutes :p

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by Jaybird

Heck, I just heard the nuclear reactor on unit 1 at Glen Rose go buuuuurrrrpppp. :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was simply trying to show what even a small leak can cost you, since compressed air is the most expensive form of energy we have.

Some folks have compressors in a back room or tucked away in an incospicuous place. Not everyone just uses them in their garage, some folks actually use them to work with.
I doubt very seriously that ALL of us shut our compressors off.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Fixed it. I took the needle valve out and put some teflon tape around the threads and put it back together. Turns out the needle valve was loose so I probably could have gotten away with just tightening it down.

Thanks for your guys help.

Ivan

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I was simply trying to show what even a small leak can cost you, since compressed air is the most expensive form of energy we have.

Some folks have compressors in a back room or tucked away in an incospicuous place. Not everyone just uses them in their garage, some folks actually use them to work with.
I doubt very seriously that ALL of us shut our compressors off.

Do you work for the city?

I can't sleep with my compressor running, BTW.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If you have no leaks, your compressor won't run. :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000

If you have no leaks, your compressor won't run. :)

Give it up, man. That tidbit of information was so Cliff Clavenish, Cliff himself is "shaking head".

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Woody, and perhaps some of his friends, would have a hard time comprehending or appreciating this lil pearl of info.

However, the guy who owns a service station with a big upright in the back would do well to read and head. 

I got plenty of air stuff....enough to go WAYYY past the chain drivel.

Want more?   :debil:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000

I got plenty of air stuff

I doubt anyone will argue that statement!! :p

Oh, and I know a few guys with repair shops with 7.5 HP uprights in the back....they all shut them down at night. Should a hose fail, the thing would run non-stop all night. Kinda common sense, yaknowhatimean? ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom