Jay D

May 22, 2001
Can anyone tell me if a DNR sticker is needed and if so where can I purchase in the Rochester area? I would need an address

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
That's a good question. One of the members of this group "JEB" is the man in charge of the trail ride. He may be on vacation this week but I'm sure he will reply to you as soon as possible.

For now, I'll give you the information that I have.
1. If you are an MN resident then yes you need a sticker.
2. If you are not a MN resident and your bike is registered in any other state you may or may not need a sticker. When you go to the MN DNR site it states that a bike that is registered in another state doesn't need a sticker so since mine has a legal Illinois plate on it I just assumed that it was ok. After the spring event I found out that maybe I wasn't legal after all because the DNR may have meant a off-road sticker from another state. As you know Illinois doesn't have a off-road sticker.

JEB has been working with the DNR since the spring event in an effort to find a get a ruling on this but as of last week still didn't have the information.
I believe that MN residents have to actually go to a state license station to get the permits. We can't do that because we arrive on Saturday for the event and nothing is open then.

I think they may try to have the permits available at sign up if the DNR will allow it and if so I am just going to buy one and be done with it . I think that the price was only $15.00 for three years or something like that.

I just got a phone call from a riding buddy last night with the same questions. We've got 20 riders that want to attend and they also need the information.

I know that this didn't give you the info that you wanted but that's all that I know as of now. Hope it helps some.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
off-road stickers AT signup

Hi guys,
I'm in the Golden Eagles club also...we put on the event. As far as I know, we will again be selling the stickers right at the event. I know we did at
our spring ride. Have fun!!!:)

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
grunk250r,

That's good news about the stickers. Have lots of them because I think you are going to need them. :)

A lot of my problems with the stickers is that the MN DNR doesn't really have a way for out of state riders to obtain a sticker. They need to get their act together and make them easier for us to obtain. Also, they are not clear on what out of state bikes need them as I explained above.

Not your problem but a real pain in the a** for us. As I stated, Jeb has not gottten a straight answer from their legal dept. yet as far as I know.

Two question, are the stickers $15.00 for three years and are 4-wheelers allowed at the trail ride?

Thanks

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Well heck, even at $30.00 for three years, I ride your event twice a year and if I ever get a chance to ride some of the other stuff like the Martinou (sp) loops thats still a good deal. :)

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I talked with the DNR enforcement dept again yesterday. They've been very helpful but, at the same time, somewhat slow moving. There's another provision in MN law that says we can get a permit from the DNR that exempts out of state bikes from needing a MN permit at our event. That's what I applied for yesterday. I was told it should go through but I'm not going to count on it until I see it.

We will have the DNR tags for sale at the event. They are $32 total and are good for 3 years. And, as Layton said, ALL MN RESIDENTS are required to have one to ride any public land in MN, no exceptions.

What Layton described above is accurate about out of state requirements. There are some fuzzy issues, though. For example, if your state requires an offroad sticker to ride on trails and you don't have it, you'd need to buy the MN sticker to ride here. But if your state doesn't require a sticker at all to ride on public lands, MN gets confused. It seems you should be legal to ride here in that case since you're legal in your home state but it seems to get enforced that you need to have the sticker.

They're trying to iron all of this out and make it more straight forward. In the meantime, the permit I applied for above would be a great answer for our trailride. That permit would, of course, apply only to our ride.

roosteater

~SPONSOR~
Dec 27, 1999
JEB....where can I get information on the dates/times for this ride? I understand that we need to have a MN DNR sticker. What about a sparky?

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Here's our webpage that I'm planning on updating in the next day or two. http://www.goldeneaglesmc.org/ The dates are basically all that's different. 9/8 and 9/9 for the fall ride. Times are 9-6 on Saturday and 8-4 on Sunday.

The webpage doesn't list spark arrestors being required and I'll fix that ommission. They are required to ride any public land in MN.

The DNR exemption permit is in the mail to me. No out of state riders will need to have a permit at our event. We will be selling the DNR tags for anyone that needs one.

Hwy 60 is still under construction so that information is still accurate.

Last edited:

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I just posted on this to bump it back up.

You riders looking for a good trail ride need to check this event out. I try to make it to both the spring and fall event because it is such great riding and ONLY available during the event.

Top Bottom