dan druff

Apr 18, 2006
My 02 rm 125, which has a recently replaced topend, feels like it is not getting into the powerband. There is a sweet low-mid punch, but as soon as it feels like the motor should reach the powerband it just levels out powerwise. During this time the engine dosn't bog, or sputter it realy kinda sounds the same but no realy big increase in rpm's or power. This happens from about half throttle to wide open. For a little more info, my silencer needed to be repacked and some of the rivets at the input end where the pipe runs into it needed replaceing, some exhaust would actualy come out down there, but i am in the process of fixing that. I was wondering if that is what it could be, or maybe a powervalve issue? if so how do i set the powervalve correctly?

Any input would be greatly apprecaisted. This site has been very helpful, even for a lurker like me. thanks again.

Chokey

Uhhh...
Oct 12, 2003
It certainly sounds like the powervalve isn't opening. there should be an access cover on the cylinder (not familiar with RMs) that will allow you to view the powervalve linkage. Remove that cover, and start the bike. Watch the linkage while revving the bike. If it doesn't move, you know the problem is in the powervalve.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I recently had a similar problem. I did 3 different things. It fixed the problem, but I have no idea which of the 3 was actually causing the problem.

1: Changed the reeds.

2: Repacked the silencer

3: 2 of my carb hoses had moved around and touched the pipe which actually melted them closed.

dan druff

Apr 18, 2006
robwbright said:
I recently had a similar problem. I did 3 different things. It fixed the problem, but I have no idea which of the 3 was actually causing the problem.

1: Changed the reeds.

2: Repacked the silencer

3: 2 of my carb hoses had moved around and touched the pipe which actually melted them closed.

none of the hoses are melted shut, so lets hope its the silencer.

On the bike there is a knob type thing on exhaust side of the cylinder with a tiny arrom pointing the clockwise direction. Is this how i would adjust the powervalve? and if it is does anyone know how to set it, i heard it was a full twist in the direction of the arrow? And how would i set it back to the stock setting, maybe when it got reassembled it was set wrong.

Chokey- As soon as it gets put back together i am going to pull the little cover off and give it a look

Top Bottom