03 KX65 and 03 KX85 Advice to new riders

The Tortoise

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Bought both bikes about a month ago. My kids had their KTM's ripped off. Got a good deal and was low on money. KTMs are better. However this is what I want to share:
1. Get the Low Tension reeds from Carbon Tech for the KX65 if you want to get rid of the hit. Makes a better woods bike this way. It will be much smoother. Almost no hit. I run the FMF Fatty and Turbin Core II on the 65 as well. We do hare scrambles and enduro's

2. On the KX85 get the Boysen RAD valve. Adds to bottom and top. More hit though. I try to avoid these big hits in power. However the RAD adds more torque and more zip. Pulled me (190Lbs) up medium hills where before it couldn't. I also run the FMF Fatty and Turbine Core II. My daughter went from a 03 KTM65SX with an EFM Clutch (simular to Revloc) to the Kawai 85. We did not want to wait for KTM 85. She loved the bike stock. However I like to tinker and tinker I did. Not much.

Summary. Both Kawi's are fine bikes. The KTM 65 is nicer and faster than the Kawi 65. The Kawi 85 is very fun. Only draw back is jetting for altitude. I have to take tank off and seat on this bike. I tried spinning carb and gets caught up in frame. I tried removing and installing and it is a pain. So I remove tank and then top of carb for needle and then spin for main.

Good Luck. Just sharing to help all you moms and dads

Doug Moore
www.tortoiseracing.com

Eiswald

Aug 13, 2002
My son is riding a new KX 65 (03) and for the money they are great, The KTM was about $750 more. I installed some Berg reeds and intake system and made a 4mm spacer for the exaust, After I got it jetted it is every bit as fast as a KTM. I also have installed the proper rate springs so it handles great too. After six months of riding and racing the bike is still tight, I figure I am about $500 under a KTM 65 and the bike is set up just right. KX65.. Great bike!

Eiswald

Aug 13, 2002
Shane001... They are totally different rear susp. systems. I installed a stock (4.0) spring off a ktm 65 on my son's KX65 and got the proper sag without bottoming, I think the stock spring is 4.8 which is O.K. if the kid is #110's.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
We had an 02 KX and its a nice bike. For light kids you HAVE to put the lighter spring on. WE got a spring from Kawasaki and had the suspension revalved for a 60lbs kid and the suspension rocked after that.

For what its worth I think the Cobra DC65 is a much better racer. Its up on HP and the suspension is dialed in now. It comes from the factory with billet hubs, excel wheels and HD spokes. It is more money about as much as it would cost to put the wheels on the KTM.
I am a Cobra dealer so you'll have to take my opinion with a grain of salt but besides me being a dealer I still feel that way.

willtygart

May 10, 2003
You wanna bike that really rips? When bought our kx65 in.....wow its late..it was a few months after they first came out....anyway, we had the cases matched and had it POLISHED not ported. There is so much "junk" that Kawasaki leaves in there NOT because they have a bad product but because they want to give the porters some meat to work on. Anyway, we did this to the bike and it holeshot so many times with stock everything (we did put in boyesen dual stage reeds). The engine on that bike isnt really all that bad and has lots of mod opportunity. The case matching and polishing though is really the trick and you dont have to send it to PC or FMF to have it done.

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
MR. Tortoise - So, would you suppose the Boysen Rad Valve would have the same effect on the KX100? My wife (5'1" & 98 lbs) has an '03 KX100, ported for low end, cylinder shaved, 8oz. flywheel weight,, and I would like it to be more responsive on the bottom. The existing mods helped, but would like more.

Top Bottom