Wannabe250

Nov 22, 2007
Recently rebuilt forks-new seals and bushings-and added fork oil as instructed in the manual to set height. Only thing I'm wondering about is the weight of the fork oil--I used a premium grade($9/liter) 5wt oil. Now it seems to bottom easier on the same or harder compression setting. :bang:

any thoughts appreciated :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Several ways to go here. Remove half of the fluid in each fork and add back a 10wt. This will approximate a 7.5wt. Going to a 10wt. will reduce bottoming but will give you some harshness. Depending on your weight and riding style it is difficult to give you proper advice, just generalities.
I use ATF fluid. I'm valved for wood and light MX, stock springs, and I weigh 155 lbs. ATF is cheap and is something simular to 7.5wt. I'm no expert and my explanation might not hold water but it works for me.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Mobil1 Synthetic ATF is a very popular fluid that will probably be the weight you want.

Seems to me that I can make much more difference in the action by changing the fluid levels. If you mix up riding between track and trail, you may want to consider sub-tanks.

Wannabe250

Nov 22, 2007
Jaybird said:
If you mix up riding between track and trail, you may want to consider sub-tanks.

What are sub-tanks?

BTW--I mainly ride tracks & rarely trails.

In full gear I'm weighing about 170 lbs.

I would estimate my riding ability 5 out of 10. :ride:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Draw out half of the fluid with a piece of tubing attached to a sarynge and put back an equal amount of 10wt. Adjust the level from there to suit your comfort.
Sub-tanks give a greater amount of adjustability and plushness. Pricey but do the trick when properly set up.

Top Bottom