d36RM racer

May 26, 2004
My dad finally has saved enough to get off his 86 yz250 and get a new one he cant decide what he wants he orginally wanted a new yz but then he heard the 300ktm is a great bike he is going to be racing cross country and motocross

Aug 26, 2005
If he leans more toward cross country, KTM 300 all the way. If MX is his first priority, YZ250. You can make a MXer do cross country with a few good mods, but you can't really make a woods bike a good MXer.

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
I have a KTM 300 MXC and an 05 YZ 250. They are both great bikes. The KTM is a much better choice for desert and woods type riding. The YZ is much better on the motocross track. The 300 has a smoother powerband and works great when the going gets tough. It also has much better suspension for any offroad work, except the track. The YZ 250 has the motor of doom and hits significantly harder than the KTM. The YZ is also noticeably lighter than the KTM. Either bike can be used fairly effectively for both track and trail, but each has it's strenghts. I suppose that means you'll need to decide which type riding is most important to you. It's hard to go wrong wtih either one.

Top Bottom