CJG

Nov 24, 2001
I just thought I would add a ride report of my 2006 Suzuki RM250 now that I've had some time on it for anyone that's interested.

Motor: This is the best motor I've ever ridden on a stock bike. It starts pulling from just above idle, transitions smoothly into a very good midrange, and keeps on pulling through a strong top-end with decent over-rev. There's no big hit anywhere in the powerband and, with a little throttle control, it's easy to find traction in nearly any situation.

Suspension: Excellent on both ends. Smooth and supple in the initial stroke with good bottoming resistance (I weigh 190lbs. +gear). What's really surprising is how well it works for trail riding. It's soft enough to handle rocks and roots very well for an mx bike. But not so soft that it rides low in, or blows through, the stroke.

Handling: Turns as well as, or better than, anything I've ever ridden. Unfortunately, precise turning comes at a cost- headshake. It's nothing compared to an early '90s CR, or even my brother's '02 200EXC, but it can shake a little on rough ground at high speed(no tankslappers yet though). All things considered it's worth it for turning that's second to none.

Odds and ends:
Ergonomics: Fits me perfectly(6'0"). Although it should be noted that I like a relatively compact bike for someone my size. I've heard of some taller riders feeling cramped.

Brakes: Strong but not grabby. Solid brakes, no surprises but nothing outstanding.

Clutch: Pretty good. No slipping or dragging so far. I don't have a problem with the clutch pull either, but some people say it's feels a bit heavy to them(hydro clutch guys).

Build quality: Very good. This is the first Suzuki offroad bike I've owned in a long time, and they've come a long way. Renthal Fatbar is standard, and has a good bend for my tastes.

I'm primarily comparing this bike to my '03 KX250, which was and is a great bike(reliable too). But the RM is just a much better fit for me. The power is broader, smoother, and less tiring, but without being boring like the four-strokes. Overall, I give this bike two thumbs up, unless I can figure out a way to grow more thumbs. :cool: :cool:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
skipn8r said:
Makes me want to ride one. BTW, can you compare the power band to that of a new YZ250?

by the sounds of it, they will be very similar for this year.

On the headshake thing, pull the fork tubes flush with the clamps for hilly outdoors MX or sand.

great report.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
skipn8r said:
Makes me want to ride one. BTW, can you compare the power band to that of a new YZ250?

Sorry, I haven't had an opportunity to ride a newer YZ250, but I'd really like to. By most accounts I've heard/read these two bikes are neck and neck for best 250.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
bclapham said:
On the headshake thing, pull the fork tubes flush with the clamps for hilly outdoors MX or sand.
Yeah, that should help. The forks are fairly high in the clamps from the factory. On any given day though, I'll ride a mix of single track(mostly), fire roads, and mx/sx. So the stock fork leg height seems to be a good compromise for all-around riding. Headshake is only moderate and fairly rare, nothing serious.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom