V-Max 600

Mar 18, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'6 135

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
somewhat aggressive, I ride snowmobiles

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
woods, trails, hopefully mx in the future

4) Do you have any riding experience?
about a year on a slow ttr125

5) Do you think you will race ?

eventually

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

I know the basics but I wouldnt be able to rebuild

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? 2 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? Doesnt matter

10) Do you live in California? no

11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I dont plan on buying a bike now I just want some suggestions on what I should get when I eventually get a bigger bike. ( dont have the money yet)

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
i had the chance to ride my sister's friends 98 KX125 this past weekend, and i was surprised at how much get up and go it had. 3rd gear pinned without a helmet scoots along pretty good!

then i rode my sister's boyfriend's KX250 and it scared the crap outta me.. i did manage to get into 2nd gear and holy crap.... hang on... the KX250 is torquey, you barely open the throttle and it takes off.

my opinion is that them ttr125's are slow but the KX125 would be my choice. i personally was thinking of getting a KX250F but after riding the 125 i think thats what i will go for.

maiden9494

Mar 17, 2007
if i were you i would go with a yz85 or yz125. The yz85's is a fast mini, and has a quick powerband. it has a seat height of 34 inches. The yz125 is obviously faster and kind of scared me and first. It is alot more expensive though than the 85. but if money is not an issue im all for the yz125.

V-Max 600

Mar 18, 2007
So you think a 250 would be to big of a jump? Because I want something with a lot more power and speed than my ttr. With me not being very tall, what are some of the shorter 125s?

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
V-Max 600 said:
So you think a 250 would be to big of a jump? Because I want something with a lot more power and speed than my ttr. With me not being very tall, what are some of the shorter 125s?

CR, KX, and RM. the KTM is also small, but its power and suspension would probably be the last 125 a beginner moving up should get. the CR125, until '05, had little power compared to the others. the KX and RM had great ranks against the competition in '03 and '04, id suggest the KX or RM.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
im only 5'6", 150 lbs and rode the KX125 and it was fine. i could touch the ground with the bottom of my feet... look around a bit because some of the 125's are only about 2 or 3 inches shorter than most of 250's.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
83MX80 said:
im only 5'6", 150 lbs and rode the KX125 and it was fine. i could touch the ground with the bottom of my feet... look around a bit because some of the 125's are only about 2 or 3 inches shorter than most of 250's.

nope, the KX's are only a 1/2 inch apart as are most of the others.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
83MX80 said:
i had the chance to ride my sister's friends 98 KX125 this past weekend, and i was surprised at how much get up and go it had. 3rd gear pinned without a helmet scoots along pretty good!
then i rode my sister's boyfriend's KX250 and it scared the crap outta me.. i did manage to get into 2nd gear and holy crap.... hang on... the KX250 is torquey, you barely open the throttle and it takes off.

See... Now to me that would tell ME that it wouldent last long. I would get bored with the power in a few mounths.

If it was my FIRST time ever riding a 125 2-stroke and i have it pinned and in 3rd gear... Well thats means ill get bored with it. I am a very aggressive person. Ill do it.. and get bored with it, and have to go faster. have to do this, have to go off the unbeaten path. Ive been like that my whole life. So i dont know how you would be with that. But i'm coming off a KE100 (pretty much the same as what you got. And getting a 250 2-stroke. I need to be able to have that power in reserve. :aj:. And I know my limits. Im responsible) I almost never have money so i dont want to be buying another bike in a year or so. And im sure your the same way.

I dont know.... thats just my $0.02 I think you should just get the 250. You wont get bored with the power. And you dont need to spend more money on it to give it more power. But you would get used to it, and be able to ride it faster, And get the feel for it.

V-Max 600

Mar 18, 2007
Moparman1539 said:
I almost never have money so i dont want to be buying another bike in a year or so. And im sure your the same way.

Exactly, I don't want to end up buying the 125 and wish I had went with the 250. I suppose I could just get a 250 and take it easy for a while. Roughly how fast can a stock 250 go? 125?

V-Max 600

Mar 18, 2007
I started to have second thoughts about getting a 250 today so I see where your coming from. My dad used to race a cr125 and he told me I would pretty much kill myself on a 250. I saw a 00 kx125 for $1700 and a 99 yz125 for $1300, they both seem like pretty good deals. Might have to check them out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom