chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
Hello all, new here on the forums, and i have a few questions about a bike that i am looking to purchase. As said above it is a 85 rm 125, the bike is whole, but the engine needs a cylinder, head and carb. What years of top ends can be swaped onto that motor and what size is the carb. also is the bore on it iron or nicasil. I can get the bike for a song and dance, and it would be nice to have a toy to chase my boys around with, as they both have little quads. Thanks for any and all responces.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
If it is "CHEAP" (less then $200) then go for it. Those are fun bikes. It has a Iron Cylinder and Eric Gorr at Forward Motion can bore/save your Cylinder for $40!. Also you don't have to worry about the Stock size carb, if you are truly missing the carb. You can put on a 34 for some added Low-End/Throttle Response or it you want some Top-End you can bolt on (with a few small mods) a 38 off of a 250cc bike. Old Suzuki RM125's can be made to screammmm!
If you do get it and get it running go to ebay and grab a DG Pipe and DG Type II Silencer and some Boyesen Reeds. You won't out grow the power with those mods!

chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
I can get it for $300, plus it comes with a bunch of parts, ie frame, forks, swing arm, ect. The cyl, head, and carb are completly missing, so i would be starting from scratch.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
chillywilly said:
I can get it for $300, plus it comes with a bunch of parts, ie frame, forks, swing arm, ect. The cyl, head, and carb are completly missing, so i would be starting from scratch.

Wow no Cylinder at All for $300. I don't know if I would touch that. You might want to do a Yahoo Search for "On The Pipe Racing" and see if they have one (I think they do). Tell them that Les sent you.

GOOD LUCK.

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
I agree with SMM, 300 is a bit high if its missing the jug head and carb. You could find a good complete craigs list beater bike for that price.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
If it is only missing those three items and the rest is very good condition (suspension not sloppy, good wheels - double check spokes and bearings, good plastic, seat, forks, shock, sprockets, and tires) then 300 isn't bad. That's doubtful though-typically if a bike is missing parts like that, the bottom end has contamination, suspension has slop and tires are well worn. I don't know details on Suzuki, so I'm not sure about interchangeability of those parts across different years.

chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
Going to look at it tonight. What would that bike be worth down in the states? The price he is asking does not seem to bad even with the missing parts. If the bike was together it would be a $1200 unit up here. Will have to see how low he will go. Wish me luck.

chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
No it did not but the parts frame had one and he started to convert it. Says it needs master cyl. to complete. As far as selling stuff from the other, that was the plan. It has frame, forks, front wheel, swing arm, and some other unknown stuff.

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
If it doesn't have the Front Disc Brake then I believe it is a 1984 Suzuki RM125. And that bike here in Northern California as a basket case (all taken apart) with every piece there would be about $200-$250. If the bike was all put together and running, I would say $500. Some would try to sell it on the High End at $800. I love the old 1981-1985 Suzuki RM125's. I can make those things fly!

chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
Ok so i bought it last nite. As i am driving home with my truck box of parts i had to wonder what the hell i just did. But i guess as long as i view it as a fun resto project it will be all good. I ended up paying $200 for it. Now the hunt begins for parts, i will begin to tear it down, clean repaint and reassemble what i have while i look for a cylinder and head, those are my biggest concerns for now. How hard are the cases to split, as i want to clean and go through with new seals, bearings and so on. Had many sled engins apart for crank bearings, so that aint a prob. Just not sure about the tranny. Is there any where that i can get a online service manual ? I will start a new thread on the project and post some pics of my basket case bike. Thanks all, Bill

SMMWest

Mod Ban
Dec 7, 2008
I slit the cases on my 1982 Suzuki RM125 and did some damage and had to have them surficed.

You are going to enjoy this bike, trust me. If I could find one around here I would buy one.

I don't know if you got my other post to do a Yahoo Search on the company "On The Pipe Racing"? But do it. I think they have the parts you need. Tell them that Les sent you and you will be treated very well.

I can't wait to see the photos of your project. Makes me wish I never would of gotten rid of my 1982 Suzuki RM125. It truly was the fastest 125 I ever owned.

At $200 that was a nice buy. Really. :cool:

chillywilly

Jul 12, 2008
I looked at their website and they did not have a top end listed. Will try to call them. There is a couple salvage yards within 3 hours of me and they are looking through their stuff as i type.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom