metalho

Dec 24, 2009
I got this 86 KDX200 about a month ago... I traded it for a little honda trail 70 that I had. The bike is in really good condition and starts first kick/run perfect. the bike appears as though it has hardly even been ridden. Even has the original tires (which are to be replaced due to dry rot!). When I got the bike, the only things that needed done to it were (tank decals which are on in the pic, and sand/repaint the pipe which is not done in the pics). My question is, are there any tank decals, or solutions to getting decals to stick/stay on the tank??) These decals I bought were on for about a week and are bubbling like crazy!!!. They are still stuck on, just look like hell! I am assuming the tank is just saturated through with gas and there is nothing i can really do about it aside from buying a dozen sets of stickers :). Not a big deal, but these little things drive me crazy for I like stuff to look good. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

.__480_360_DSCF2839.JPG

.__480_360_DSCF2840.JPG

.__480_360_DSCF2841.JPG

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Wow, that's a great looking 86! Really a cool year too, still air cooled but with power valves.

Unfortunately there's no good method I know of for getting decals to stick on a plastic fuel tank without bubbling.

metalho

Dec 24, 2009
julien_d said:
Wow, that's a great looking 86! Really a cool year too, still air cooled but with power valves.

Unfortunately there's no good method I know of for getting decals to stick on a plastic fuel tank without bubbling.

i didnt figure so!! thanks for the tip though! I was hoping to find some metal backed decals with vent holes, but can't seem to find some with simply the Kawasaki emblem.

I agree. Motors don't come much simpler than this. Ive always been a four stroke guy. Grew up on honda trail bikes, Have restored a couple trail 70's, and just finished a 79 xl185s honda, but the power of a 2 stroke with power valve is hard to beat. Makes the Honda 185 feel like a mini-bike!!!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
was the 70 a full resto??

that kdx is sweeeeet

the only thing you can do for your stickers is perforate them... you know like yamaha does (little holes)

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
OOPS! I was close! I remember driving in Dallas. I must have driven through it. I've still got 'em. I never did anything with them yet.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I wish you would do some research/ experimenting and find out what it is to do with the stator plates to use the 95-06 flywheels.

so have you bought any more??
how many old kawasaki do you have 20....30 maybe..?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Define old. :-) It's a bunch.

I haven't got the money to give it all a try. I think I would just try the tips from the Italian guy on grinding out a new keyway, with a ricky stator rotor.

Jaz808

Feb 19, 2009
I know tranks breathe fuel and air and sticker and paint bubble, so why doesnt a new bike sticker's bubble

Whats this about a Ricky Stator rotor, i bought the Tecate rotor from Ricky and filed a new keyway in it for my 86, took 2 days of playing around without the woodruf key in, as you know the shaft is tapered, and really you dont need a keyway or key at all, its only there to line in right

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Jaz808, he sold me an '84 and an '86 with bad rotors (flywheels). He was hoping I would try a 95+ KDX rotor on it. If I ever got around to fooling with them, I would try what you are talking about, and buy a Tecate rotor from him and make a new keyway. Some guy from Italy was on here around a year ago talking about buying a Tecate rotor and making it work.

What angle did you end up at? I think he said that if the crankshaft and Tecate angle keyway were at 12 o'clock, his new keyway was at 1:30.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom